Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Happy National Pretzel Day! Yes, there is a special day dedicated to pretzels. I am A-Ok with that because I love pretzels. I’ve always been a fan. In grade school, I always brought a brown bag lunch to school. I always asked my dad for a peanut butter, banana, & honey sandwich, an apple, and pretzel sticks…and of course a cookie for dessert:) I love salty pretzels in any shape or form. My new favorite pretzels are these homemade soft Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels. They are fantastic!

Josh is the pretzel master at our house. He always makes them and I eat them. It’s a rough job but somebody has to do it:) This time he added fresh rosemary and sea salt to the dough. The combination is awesome! They are good plain, but he made a rosemary cheese sauce that knocked my socks off. I loved dunking my pretzel into the cheese sauce.

The pretzels are really easy to make. I promise. Don’t let the yeast and twisting the dough scare you. They are fun to make and eat! Celebrate National Pretzel Day with these Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels. They make a great snack!

Here are a few other pretzel recipes to help you celebrate National Pretzel Day! Enjoy!

Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Yield: 8 large soft pretzels

Soft homemade pretzels with fresh rosemary and sea salt. Dip them into a rosemary cheese sauce for a great snack!

For the pretzels:

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
Canola oil, to grease bowl
3 quarts water
2/3 cups baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the Rosemary Cheese Sauce:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. To make the pretzels: combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add the salt, flour, and rosemary to the mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

3. Coat a large bowl with canola oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size. This will take about 1 hour.

4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.

5. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. To shape into pretzels, take the right side and cross over to the left. Cross right to left again and flip up. Slowly add the baking soda to the boiling water. Boil the pretzels in the water solution, 2 at a time for 30 seconds, splashing the tops with the warmed water using a spoon. Remove with a large flat slotted spatula or a spider. Place 4 pretzels on each baking sheet, brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with sea salt. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown.

6. Remove pretzels from oven and let cool on a wire baking rack.

7. To make the Rosemary Cheese Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour. Pour in the milk and whisk until the mixture thickens. Stir in shredded cheese, stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in fresh rosemary and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with pretzels.

Pretzel recipe adapted from Bobby Flay

197 Responses to “Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce”

Michele — April 26, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

I just answered my own questions. Lol. Please disregard my previous post. Well, just the questions, not the part about how good they look!!!

Oh my goodness these look delicious!! I love rosemary!!!

Jill — April 26, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I really, really wish I could make these right now. Yummmm!

Tracy — April 26, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

I love rosemary so I know I’m going to love these pretzels! Can’t wait to make them and that delicious cheese sauce, too!

Kim Bee — April 26, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

These look incredible. I have a confession. I’ve never had a fresh large pretzel like this. No idea why. I’ve just never been to places where they sell them. I must try this. I have a feeling I’ll fall in love with them and it’s all I’ll want to eat.

Deborah — April 26, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

I have never made pretzels before, but that needs to change asap, because these sound phenomenal!!

EatLiveRun — April 26, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

mmm soft pretzels!! I am definitely going to try this recipe—thanks Josh and Maria!

Elizabeth — April 26, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

ahhh so yummy!! I love fresh homemade pretzels. and rosemary is an awesome flavor addition!

Emily — April 26, 2012 @ 2:55 pm

Are you kidding me!? These look fantastic… I can not wait to try this recipe!

Summer — April 26, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Yum! These look amazing. I’m not daring enough to make pretzels yet. One of these days though…

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — April 26, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

These look so freaking amazing. I love the gourmet twist on pretzels. I could definitely go for one as an afternoon snack!

Gina — April 26, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

I have a question. Can you make these with whole wheat flour. Scared to switch but my girls have a problem with white flour. Thanks. They sound so delicious. Don’t want to make them to eat all myself, lol.

• Two Peas replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

I haven’t tried whole wheat flour, but I am sure it would work. Enjoy!

Kriss Morton — April 26, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

OK I just added the ingredients, changed a bit up because I was out of butter and had no fresh rosemary, to my bread machine YES I KNOW but I live in a cabin and it is just really hard to move stuff around and I have less stuff to clean! With no running water it makes my life easier. We will see oh and instead of rosemary I am using my rosemary lavender blend. YUMMMY AGAIN!

I love pretzels too! I like to get them at baseball games and amusement parks. So good.

These pretzels sound amazing! Rosemary adds such a wonderful flavor to everything. Nice post.

Anna @ hiddenponies — April 26, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

These look delicious – the cheese sauce is the perfect addition! I have homemade pretzels on the to-do list this month, I always know I can count on your recipes, thank you!!

Emily Webb — April 26, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

i love making homemade pretzels, but i don’t know how to store them! how do you keep them delicious after the first day?

bridget {bake at 350} — April 26, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

These look like the most perfect pretzels EVER.

Joanne — April 26, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

My first dabbling in the world of soft pretzels occurred two years ago when I made pretzel rolls…SO GOOD. i think these pretzels would top them though. I love rosemary in bread form!

Julie @ Table for Two — April 26, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

this looks SO good, Maria!! I love pretzels and have been craving one for a while..I need to write down all the foodie holidays! I never know when one is coming up :)

Saskia — April 26, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

Hi. Lovely blog. I’m wondering what the weight is of a package of US dried yeast? Not sure if Australian yeast comes in the same-sized pack! Cheers.

Michelle — April 27, 2012 @ 12:07 am

I made these this evening, but instead of rosemary used other seasonings I used- (italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder). Followed directions otherwise exact as stated and OMG perfection. They came out looking just like the pictures!!! Cheap to make, better tasting than any other pretzel I have ever purchased and really super easy. I’ve never made pretzels and until 2 weeks ago, was terrified of yeast. Mega stars for sharing this!

Javelin Warrior — April 27, 2012 @ 12:31 am

First, I love that you made this all from scratch – amazing! But the adding rosemary to the pretzels sounds delicious and I’ve never seen this done before. I am featuring this post in today’s Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. As always, it’s a pleasure to be following your creations…

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — April 27, 2012 @ 1:47 am

Oh my gosh I love these! I made homemade pretzels once and they weren’t as difficult as I thought…I have to give these a try. I especially love the homemade cheese sauce!

Amy — April 27, 2012 @ 8:18 am

Yes, we’re making some of these really soon. AND the rosemary cheese sauce is on the list as a keeper for other things too!

teresa — April 27, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Maria!
    Honestly!
    This is one of the yummiest things I’ve ever seen on a blog!
    xo

Feast on the Cheap — April 27, 2012 @ 11:23 am

You made these JUST for me. I am in love…

Paula- bell'alimento — April 27, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

I am swooning… and pinning…and swooning… xoxo

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — April 27, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Maria I adore these. I may have to make a spin-off recipe this weekend! They look amazing!

30. Pingback: Friday Foodgawker Favorites « foodie fabulista

Marla Meridith — April 27, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Maria, these look amazing. Love that there is rosemary on the pretzels and in the sauce.

Nicole {Sweet Peony} — April 27, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Yoooooo these look ridiculously good! I am a HUGE fan of salty pretzels with cheese dip. OMG dying… !!!!!

Nicole, RD — April 27, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Wow…just wow. I want THREE! At least ;)

Kelli — April 27, 2012 @ 6:29 pm

Looks lovely – any thoughts on freezing and defrosting these wonderous pretzels?

Heather M. — April 27, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Pretzels and smoothies for supper tonight. Can’t wait. The dough is rising. It looks dreamy already.

36. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 4/28/2012 | Brown Eyed Baker

Amanda — April 28, 2012 @ 9:26 am

One word – amazing!

Mom Foodie — April 28, 2012 @ 10:47 am

I have yet to make pretzels, but these sure look great. I will have to give it a shot soon.

susan — April 28, 2012 @ 12:01 pm