Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Happy National Pretzel Day! Yes, there is a special day dedicated to pretzels. I am A-Ok with that because I love pretzels. I’ve always been a fan. In grade school, I always brought a brown bag lunch to school. I always asked my dad for a peanut butter, banana, & honey sandwich, an apple, and pretzel sticks…and of course a cookie for dessert:) I love salty pretzels in any shape or form. My new favorite pretzels are these homemade soft Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels. They are fantastic!

Josh is the pretzel master at our house. He always makes them and I eat them. It’s a rough job but somebody has to do it:) This time he added fresh rosemary and sea salt to the dough. The combination is awesome! They are good plain, but he made a rosemary cheese sauce that knocked my socks off. I loved dunking my pretzel into the cheese sauce.

The pretzels are really easy to make. I promise. Don’t let the yeast and twisting the dough scare you. They are fun to make and eat! Celebrate National Pretzel Day with these Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels. They make a great snack!

Here are a few other pretzel recipes to help you celebrate National Pretzel Day! Enjoy!

Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Yield: 8 large soft pretzels

Soft homemade pretzels with fresh rosemary and sea salt. Dip them into a rosemary cheese sauce for a great snack!

For the pretzels:

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
Canola oil, to grease bowl
3 quarts water
2/3 cups baking soda
1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt

For the Rosemary Cheese Sauce:

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. To make the pretzels: combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

2. Add the salt, flour, and rosemary to the mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

3. Coat a large bowl with canola oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size. This will take about 1 hour.

4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.

5. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. To shape into pretzels, take the right side and cross over to the left. Cross right to left again and flip up. Slowly add the baking soda to the boiling water. Boil the pretzels in the water solution, 2 at a time for 30 seconds, splashing the tops with the warmed water using a spoon. Remove with a large flat slotted spatula or a spider. Place 4 pretzels on each baking sheet, brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with sea salt. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown.

6. Remove pretzels from oven and let cool on a wire baking rack.

7. To make the Rosemary Cheese Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour. Pour in the milk and whisk until the mixture thickens. Stir in shredded cheese, stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in fresh rosemary and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with pretzels.

Pretzel recipe adapted from Bobby Flay

191 Responses to “Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels with Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Sauce”

TidyMom — April 28, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

Thanks for linking up again Maria!!
    I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2012/spring-food-and-crafts/

Have a great weekend!

• Two Peas replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Thanks Cheryl!

Those look crazy good – love the rosemary!!!

Kerstin — April 29, 2012 @ 12:10 am

Your pretzels look so perfect – I’m very impressed and wish I had one right now!

Row — April 29, 2012 @ 1:11 am

I’ve never made pretzels before, but these look so yummy that I’ll have to give this recipe a try. Thanks!

Esi — April 29, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

Fun. I made these last year. So good.

KarenM — April 29, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

Wow!! Are these ever delicious!!! And easy too. Will definitely make these again.

Andrea — April 29, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

I can’t believe I made these! They are not as difficult as I always thought they would be! Thanks for the recipe. Oh, and they are delish!

• Two Peas replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

Glad you liked the pretzels! They are fun to make and eat:)

Stacey — April 29, 2012 @ 9:00 pm

How much in one “package” of yeast? They come in different sizes here in Australia. :-)

• Two Peas replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

2 1/4 teaspoons. I updated the recipe! Enjoy!

9. Pingback: Homemade Whole Wheat Garlic and Herb Soft Pretzels

Kristina Vanni — May 1, 2012 @ 12:58 am

Yum, these take me back to childhood. What a fresh take! Thanks for sharing.

Kendra — May 1, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

Yummy, yum, yum! I just made a double batch of these for a potluck – only mini-sized and sans rosemary. Holy cow, are they delicious! Thank you so much for a now permanent recipe in my cookbook. :-)

12. Pingback: Homemade Rosemary Sea Salt Pretzels | It was fun fun fun

13. Pingback: Rosemary Pretzels with cheese sauce » Boston Maternity Photographer, Newborn Photographer, Children's Photographer, Family Photographer, Massachusetts

Liz — May 3, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

Do you happen to have a gluten free pretzel recipe? A friend of my daughter’s is extremely allergic to many foods including gluten.

angela — May 3, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

Do you have a whole wheat flour option? Substitute 1/2 the white flour for wheat maybe? Also, can you suggest any other add-ins? I made the Rosemary and it was OUTSTANDING and am ready to make a different kind. Thank you.

Tesei — May 6, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

I love pretzels in every shape or form. I can easily see these becoming a favourite this side of the screen, thank you!

Ann P. — May 6, 2012 @ 1:28 pm

My fiance loves rosemary; I think these would be the perfect treat to make! I am sure he would show a lot of appreciation :)

18. Pingback: Loving right now « kerrycooks

Michelle — May 13, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

These sound soooooooo good. I dont have a stand mixer, do you have any clue if this would work in a bread machine? Also, I noticed on the Pretzel Bites recipe, the cheese sauce measurements are different. Which one do you prefer? Thanks!!

New Orleans Honey — May 13, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe for many reasons.
    Reason #1 my son has a huge rosemary bush in his yard, free ingredients. woohoo!
    Reason #2 I love any recipe that I can make with my gbabies. They are 12 1/2 and 6 1/2 and both love to cook w/ their Honey.
    Reason #3 They look delish and seem easy enough for my gbabies to make.
    Tonight is first time I have seen your site. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have added it to my favorites and plan to look through all ya’ll recipes tomorrow after the girls go to school.
    SORRY SO LONG

• Two Peas replied: — May 13th, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

Welcome! Glad you found our site!

Tash — May 18, 2012 @ 6:30 am

Hey! Do you think i could do the dough in my bread maker??

• Two Peas replied: — May 18th, 2012 @ 10:06 am

I haven’t tried using a bread maker, but I am sure it would be fine!

Elissa — May 21, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

These look so yummy! I need to get over my fear of using yeast!

Kayt — May 27, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

Michele asked if the pretzels could be made without an egg. I was told, by a grandma who’s grandchild is allergic to eggs, that most recipes can be made without the egg if you add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in place of every egg required. I once needed 3 eggs for cupcakes and only had 2 in the house. 2 eggs and a tablespoon of white vinegar later – perfect cupcakes and no vinegar flavour detected by anyone!!
    I don’t know if it would work with this recipe (am about to make pretzels for the first time with my son who loves them thanks to this recipe :D) but it’d be worth a try.

Kristy — May 31, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

BEST PRETZEL RECIPE EVER! Thanks!

Kristy — May 31, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

Oh and for everyone else that asked, I did use the bread machine to do the kneading – I mixed step 1 by hand and poured into the pan, sprinkling the yeast on top. Let it sit 5 minutes, then added the rest and turned it on for about 10 minutes, until it was smooth. Turned out perfect!

Katy — June 2, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

I made these twice now…in one week!! The first time I didn’t have any rosemary but they were SO delicious and the 2nd time made with rosemary and they were just as yummy! Split the sauce in half and added a couple spoonfuls of marinera to make 2 diff sauces. Thank you so much for a great recipe!! It’s definitely a keeper!

• Two Peas replied: — June 2nd, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Glad you liked the pretzels-both times:)

SARAH — June 9, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

I just tried these and they did NOT work out. The dough was hard to shape into pretzels and when I dunked them in the boiling water, they came out as blobs! I put so much effort into these and they did NOT turn out. I followed the directions exactly! : (

28. Pingback: Eat Your Way Around Euro 2012 » Amy Elizabeth

Maddhaddar — June 15, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

These are amazing!!! They turned out so good and the rosemary….OMG! The only mistake I made as a newbie to working with yeast is leaving the dough wrapped in plastic wrap on the counter as it rose. It started to expand all over the counter. lol I moved it into a bowl to continue rising and problem solved.

I added this recipe to my pinterst account and blogged about my experience.

Thank you for sharing your recipe! :)

• Two Peas replied: — June 15th, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed the pretzels!

30. Pingback: Eat Your Way Around Euro 2012 | Amy Elizabeth

KT — July 17, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

What kind of mixer should I use if I don’t have a stand mixer? Thanks!!

• Two Peas replied: — July 17th, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

You can work the dough by hand if you don’t have a mixer.

32. Pingback: anyone can cook (and you can too!) « so this is where the enemy sleeps

Sarah N — August 10, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

What would you do if you didn’t have a stand mixer, I’m not rich enough for that yet :)

34. Pingback: 15 Fall Recipes « A Cedar Spoon.

karen — September 5, 2012 @ 1:22 am

made these tonight after seeing them on pinterest…they were awesome! i made half as pretzels, and half as pretzel rolls….as rolls they were beyond words amazing. i can only imagine after they cool tonight….as sandwiches tomorrow! thanks!

Cherry — September 6, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

I’ve always loved soft pretzels but have been so disappointed in homemade results. However, THIS RECIPE ROCKS and it WORKS! These are so delicious. Thank you for sharing!

• Two Peas replied: — September 6th, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

You are welcome! Glad you liked the pretzels!

37. Pingback: Tailgating Time

S — September 25, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

I made these today and they were delicious, thank you for sharing. They stuck to the baking sheet for me though. The first four I did with no oil (on the sheet) the second four I put olive oil in the pan to grease it. It was a little better, but still stuck. Any ideas?

39. Pingback: Sally's Pins | Sally Spins