One of Josh’s favorite meals is chile verde, but he usually only makes it a couple of times a year because it takes awhile. He was in the mood for chile verde, but didn’t want to do the work, so he dusted off our slow cooker to make Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde.
Josh prepared everything in the morning so he could eat chile verde for dinner. He kept talking about his chicken chile verde recipe all day long. He was so excited for dinner time.
Josh usually makes chile verde with pork, but used chicken this time because he was in the mood for chicken and we had it in the fridge.
Josh roasted tomatillos and Anaheim peppers in the oven to bring out their flavor. He combined the roasted tomatillos and peppers in the blender with onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and some spices to make the chile verde sauce. I tasted the sauce and it was soooo good! I wanted to eat the sauce with a bag of tortilla chips, but Josh was guarding the chile verde sauce with his life. He said it was for HIS recipe.
He poured the killer sauce into the slow cooker with chicken broth and the chicken. He turned on the slow cooker and let the chicken chile verde cook away.
We ate dinner early that night because Josh couldn’t contain himself. He served his Slow Cooker Chile Verde with cilantro lime rice, beans, and tortillas. He LOVED his slow cooker meal. He couldn’t believe how good it was. He is sold on this Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde recipe.
Josh didn’t take our slow cooker back to the basement because she said he is going to be making this recipe again and very soon. This Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde recipe makes a great weeknight meal. It is also great for serving a crowd. Josh is already talking about making it for Super Bowl Sunday! Give it a try!
The slow cooker does all of the work! Serve with tortilla, rice, and beans for a tasty meal!
Yield: Serves 6-8
2 lbs tomatillos husked, washed and dried, and cut in half
10 medium Anaheim peppers, cut in half, seeds removed
1 jalapeño pepper
1 cup diced onion
4 garlic cloves
2 cups roughly chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
Tortilla, beans, and rice for serving, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place tomatillos and Anaheim peppers on two large greased baking sheets. Roast until tomatillos are golden brown about 5-7 minutes, and until peppers are charred.
2. Place peppers in a brown paper bag to sweat for about ten minutes. Remove the peppers from the bag and peel.
3. In a blender or food processor, combine 6 peppers (12 pepper halves), tomatillos, jalapeños, onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, paprika, lime zest and juice, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth.
4. Dice the remaining Anaheim peppers. Pour salsa verde, chicken broth, diced Anaheim peppers, and chicken into the slow cooker. Add salt and pepper.
5. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours or untill chicken is at least 165 degrees in center of meat.
6. Once chicken is cooked using a slotted spoon remove chunks of chicken to a cutting board and shred and return to crock pot with chile verde sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm with tortillas, beans, and rice.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!