Sourdough Stuffing with Mushrooms, Apples, & Sage

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. We are not traveling this year because of our new bundle of joy. Instead, Josh’s family is coming to us. We will be cooking up a feast in our own kitchen. On Sunday, we tested a few Thanksgiving recipes to make sure they were good enough for the big day. We made a Sourdough Stuffing with Mushrooms, Apples, and Sage that passed with flying colors. This is my new favorite stuffing recipe and will be making an appearance at our Thanksgiving dinner table this year.

The stuffing is made with crusty sourdough bread. I usually don’t like stuffing because I don’t like the “mushy” texture, but this stuffing is not mushy at all. The sourdough bread softens and is moist, but keeps a nice texture. The onion, celery, cremini mushrooms, Granny Smith apples, and fresh sage add great flavor. I love the slight sweetness the apples add to the stuffing. Josh, who usually prefers sausage stuffing, said this vegetarian stuffing was his new favorite recipe. Yay! I am glad we both loved it.

We baked the stuffing in the oven, but you can go the traditional route and “stuff your bird” with this stuffing. If you are still deciding on which stuffing recipe to serve up this Thanksgiving, look no further. This Sourdough Stuffing with Mushrooms, Apples, and Sage is the perfect side dish to serve at your holiday meal.

Also, check out our feature on PBS Food. We are thrilled and honored to be featured. Thanks PBS Food!

Sourdough Stuffing with Mushrooms, Apples, & Sage

Yield: Serves 8-10

Cook Time: 45 minutes

1 loaf crusty sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 11 cups)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, diced
4 ribs celery, chopped
3 cups fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 large eggs
1/3 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Evenly spread bread cubes out on two baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until bread is dried but not browned. Transfer bread cubes to a large bowl.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, mushrooms, and apples. Cook until vegetables and apples are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the mixture to the bread and stir to combine.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth and two eggs. Pour the broth mixture over the bread and stir to combine. Make sure all of the bread cubes are well coated with the liquid. Season with sage, salt, and pepper and stir well.

4. Pour stuffing into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes, or until the stuffing is lightly browned and crisp on top. Remove from the oven and serve warm.

If you like this Sourdough Stuffing with Mushrooms, Apples, & Sage, you might also like:

86 Responses to “Sourdough Stuffing with Mushrooms, Apples, & Sage”

chinmayie @ love food eat — November 9, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

Delicious! Looks so tasty :)

SweetSugarBelle — November 9, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

This looks absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CouponClippingCook — November 10, 2011 @ 2:00 am

You and Josh are such good cooks! Love this dressing recipe! Looks so delicious and healthy.

Vicki Bensinger — November 10, 2011 @ 2:14 am

This sounds so good. I like the addition of the apes which I’m sure helps to keep it moist when cooked outside of the Turkey. I’m sure if cooked inside would be even better. in fact come to think of it this would be great I side a pumpkin like the recipe Dorie Greenspan does. Thanks for sharing!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — November 10, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Yep, that sounds like a winner on my Thanksgiving table. Can’t wait to try it.

marla — November 10, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Love the stuffing! Sage is such great ingredient in stuffing :)

HeatherChristo — November 10, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Oh Maria! That stuffing looks just wonderful, I love the whole mushrooms in there!

aida mollenkamp — November 10, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Such classic flavors that you can’t go wrong and I like the addition of tangy sourdough.

Deborah — November 10, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I have to admit – I don’t normally love vegetarian stuffings, but this one sounds SO good!!

Georgia Pellegrini — November 10, 2011 @ 11:37 am

This looks heavenly! I love a good stuffing!

Feast on the Cheap — November 10, 2011 @ 11:40 am

What a fabulous stuffing recipe!

TidyMom — November 10, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

I love this!! Looks and sounds amazing Maria

Susan — November 10, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

You have some amazing recipes, and I have printed several. My only suggestion on the printable recipe page is to keep a small photo of the dish on the page. It adds a lot to the recipe to be able to see it–especially for new cooks or for dishes I haven’t made for a while.

Kristina Vanni — November 10, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

This looks amazing! Love that you used sourdough bread. If you are interested, you should totally enter this recipe in the Stuffing and Dressing contest this week on Better Recipes. Heck, why not? There is a $5,000 prize up for grabs! http://www.betterrecipes.com/contests/stuffing-dressing-recipe

Nancy@acommunaltable — November 10, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

I honestly think we need to have a second Thanksgiving devoted entirely to stuffing!! This one would definitely be at the top of the list!!

16. Pingback: ToFurkey Day 1 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness

tasha - the clean eating mama — November 11, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Thank you for the wonderful recipe! It looks simply amazing!
    I had to share it on my blog – http://www.thecleaneatingmama.com/2011/11/tofurkey-day-1.html

Love your blog – keep up the great work!
    XxOo
    Tasha

• Two Peas replied: — November 11th, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Glad you liked our stuffing recipe! Thanks for the shout out!

Mari — November 11, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I love stuffing. I like the idea of making it with sourdough , apples and sage. It must be delicious! Thanks Maria. Congratulations on being featured. Have a wonderful weekend.

• Two Peas replied: — November 11th, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Thanks Mari!

Lori — November 12, 2011 @ 9:14 am

What a wonderful idea for a stuffing. I adore sourdough bread, but have never thought of making my stuffing with it. I’m sure this tastes as good as it looks!

20. Pingback: Apple Toffee Galette Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Jeanette — November 14, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

I haven’t had sourdough bread in so long, I do miss it – what a terrific vegetarian stuffing recipe with all the classic ingredients for a good Thanksgiving stuffing.

Kim in MD — November 15, 2011 @ 8:25 am

This looks crazy delicious, especially the crunchy pieces of bread! I normally like sausage stuffing, too, and the recipe I make is almost identical to this one with the addition of sausage. Happy Thanksgiving!

Deliciously Organic — November 15, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I love this combination. Perfect for next week’s big meal!

24. Pingback: Roasted Butternut Squash Salad Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

Stephanie — November 17, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

Great feature!! Love the kitchen. I guess I haven’t been reading long enough to have seen a full picture of it before :)

26. Pingback: 101 Thanksgiving Recipes | How Sweet It Is

27. Pingback: Wild Rice Stuffing recipe | TidyMom

Laura — November 22, 2011 @ 12:19 am

Think this could be made in a crockpot?

• Two Peas replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I haven’t tried it in a crockpot, but I am sure it would work. Let me know if you try it!

29. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipe Round-Up | Two Peas & Their Pod

30. Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipe Ideas

31. Pingback: Rather Be Baking « weekend update

gailllc — December 25, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Just had this with our Christmas dinner — delicious combination of flavors, but ours was a little soggy even though it reached egg-safe 160 degrees. Possibly I should have sauteed the veggies a bit longer to get them to give up more of their liquids. I always bake my “dressing” instead of using it as “stuffing” but I’m tired of my intrepid foodie family members insisting on the same-ol’-same-ol’ dressing 2x/year! This was a nice change and went well with our ham. Good thing I have a monster (4′ across, 2.5′ tall) sage plant! I’ll be making this again!

33. Pingback: 32 Scrumptious Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes | Kitchen Treaty

34. Pingback: 135 Nourishing Thanksgiving Recipes » Unmistakably Food | Unmistakably Food

35. Pingback: 7 Incredible Stuffing Recipes « PlaceFull Blog

36. Pingback: 50 Thanksgiving Side Dishes | With Thanksgiving quickly sneaking up on us, it's time to start planning out the meal. Here are 50 delicious side dishes from you to choose from. What di

Liz — November 5, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

Nice recipe – thank you, Maria

Justine — November 7, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Hi! Love that I found this. Had the idea of making a mushroom apple butternut squash stuffing and this is a great outline. I had one question- I was planning on pre making the stuffing one day early. I thought maybe this would enrich the flavors to marinade and then reheat the next day in the oven. My only fear is it drying out too much. Maybe I could add extra stock for moisture? Do you have any advice? Thanks!

• Two Peas replied: — November 7th, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

You can add a little extra stock, but it should be fine. Just cover it and keep it in the fridge.

Beth Bilous — November 14, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

The stuffing does sound divine, and where’d you get that beautiful pan? Is it Emile Henry? Oh i want it.

Ruth Cataldo — November 19, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

I love this recipe – especially a stuffing without meat! I seems so much lighter and a better alternative for Thanksgiving! I am doing a Thanksgiving Round-Up Series next week on my blog and I would love to share this recipe. Please email me if you are happy for me to include this recipe (and any other Thanksgiving delights you may have to share!) Ruth x

• Two Peas replied: — November 19th, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

You may link to the recipe! Thanks!