Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni

Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni

I love Italian food-pizza, pasta, gelato-they all make me happy. One of my favorite pasta dishes is cannelloni. For starters, I like saying the word, isn’t it a cool word? :) I  also really like the cheesy stuffed pasta shells, pasta at it’s best. This spinach mushroom cannelloni recipe is my all time favorite.

This recipe may sound time consuming, but I promise it is super easy. The spinach mushroom ricotta filling doesn’t take long to mix together and the marinara sauce is simple.  You can use store bought marinara sauce, but I promise my sauce is worth a little extra effort. I do cheat a little and use store bought lasagna noodles. Barilla’s flat homemade no-boil lasagna noodles never let me down.

Assembling the cannelloni is fun. I love rolling up each pasta sheet that has been stuffed with the spinach mushroom cheese filling and sauce. I always top the cannelloni with a generous amount of sauce and mozzarella cheese before popping it in the oven.

Spinach mushroom cannelloni is the perfect dish for pasta lovers. It is especially delicious on a cold winter day. There is something warming and comforting about pasta that has been stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, sauce, and lots of cheese. Go ahead and help yourself to a warm serving of spinach mushroom cannelloni tonight. I won’t tell if you go back for seconds either:)

Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni

Yield: Makes 12-14 cannelloni

Cook Time: 35 minutes (bake time)

Filling:

2 garlic cloves, minced
Dash crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Pasta:

1 box No-Boil Lasagna Noodles (we use Barilla No-Boil Homemade Flat Lasagna Noodles)

Cheese Topping:

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

2. To make the filling-in a large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender, about five minutes. Stir in spinach and mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are soft and spinach is wilted, about five minutes. Remove from heat.

3. In a large bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. Add egg and mix until well combined. Stir in spinach mushroom mixture and seasonings. Set aside while you make the sauce.

4. To make the sauce-in a large stockpot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about five minutes. Add red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, and diced tomatoes. Stir in tomato paste. Add fresh basil and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on stove for about 20 minutes.

5. For the pasta-add lasagna noodles to a large pot of boiling water that has been salted. Cook for three minutes or until the noodles are al dente. Do not overcook, they will finish cooking in the oven. Carefully remove noodles from water and lay flat on a wire cooling rack.

6. To assemble the cannelloni-spread about a 1/2 cup of the sauce in the baking dish. Spread about 1/4 cup spinach ricotta filling in a line along one short side of the lasagna noodle. Put 1 tablespoon of sauce on top and then roll up to enclose filling. Carefully transfer cannelloni to pan and place seam side down. Continue stuffing and rolling remaining cannelloni. Top cannelloni with remaining sauce and 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Cover pan with foil and bake until sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5 additional minutes, until cheese is melted.

Note-Cannelloni can be assembled (but not baked) one day ahead. Chill and keep in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before baking. It also freezes well.

If you like this spinach mushroom cannelloni, you might also like:

Stuffed Shells with Spinach, Ricotta, and Mushrooms from Two Peas and Their Pod
Spring Vegetable Cannelloni from Daily Unadventures in Cooking
Chicken Cannelloni from This Week for Dinner

Yum Pin It

92 Responses to “Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni”

1. These look wonderful. Look forward to fixing these real soon. Love your blog!

2. Looks awesome! So looking forward to making them.

3. natalie (the sweets life) — January 10, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

these look great! I don’t think I’ve ever had cannelloni. Need to change that!

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni | Cannelloni Recipe | Two Peas and Their Pod -- Topsy.com

5. Cookin' Canuck — January 10, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

Really pretty photos, Maria! This cannelloni sounds like a perfect way to warm up in this VERY COLD weather.

6. Bridgett — January 10, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

The filling sounds delicious. I love filling mine with swiss chard and sweet peas as it pairs nicely with the cheeses. Now I am craving some …. can you send me some?? ha ha

7. Alyssa — January 10, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

I’ve never made this but my boyfriend would LOVE it – I’ll have to make it :)

8. leslie — January 10, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

SOunds absolutely wonderful! I bet it freezes great

9. Tracey — January 10, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

This sounds fabulous Maria! I’m going to bookmark it and make it one night when my non-mushroom eating husband isn’t around :)

10. twopeas — January 10, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

You can always leave out the mushrooms. Spinach and cheese would be tasty too:)

11. Kalynskitchen — January 10, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Just gorgeous. That looks so delicious!

12. Heather — January 10, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

These look delicious Maria! Italian food makes me super happy too. Something about the comforts of pizza, pasta, and cheese! Really beautiful photo’s too.

13. rebecca — January 10, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

oh wow this looks amazing on my to do list!

14. Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — January 10, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

These look amazing! I love cannelloni, but it’s one of the few Italian dishes I’ve never made myself. Love the spinach and mushroom combo!

15. rachel — January 10, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

OH my WORD. WOW. YUM. I want!

16. Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 11, 2011 @ 4:26 am

This looks so delicious! I have never made cannelloni before.

17. Liz - Meal Makeover Mom — January 11, 2011 @ 6:12 am

Yum, yum, yum. I love ever single ingredient in your recipe. I’m a huge fan of no-boil noodles and really like how you use them in this dish. I think my kids would really enjoy this too!

18. Sharona May — January 11, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Looks very good . I like that it looks light ~ not a heavy pasta dish.

19. twopeas — January 11, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Thanks Liz!

20. Sara — January 11, 2011 @ 8:29 am

Looks really good! I need to make this! :)

21. Dana — January 11, 2011 @ 10:06 am

Maria, this looks absolutely delicious. I haven’t made cannelloni for years – I find it to be a lot of trouble but you are right, it is so good! I have to say I’m surprised to see this here. An awfully decadent recipe from our super healthy girl! Bring it on!

22. Honey — January 11, 2011 @ 11:20 am

this looks fabulous! Not too crazy on the fat, you really added it where you needed it. I like that. This makes me wanna make Cannelloni – we have a snowstorm coming tonite. Yikes!

23. EatLiveRun — January 11, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I’ve never attempted cannelloni! I might just have to though…this looks fabulous!

24. Heather — January 11, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Mmm…this really does sound wonderful! I’ve made stuffed shells similar to this in the past. I’ll have to try your recipe out!

25. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 11, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Oooh, these look incredible! I am dreaming of how spectacular this would be with fresh homemade pasta!

26. Paula - bell'alimento — January 11, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Nothing better than baked pasta on a cold day : )

27. Debbie — January 12, 2011 @ 1:53 am

This looks great-I’ve only tried the yummy cheesy variety so must try this too!

28. grace — January 12, 2011 @ 2:51 am

lovely pictures of an italian masterpiece! and you’re right–cannelloni is an awesome word. :)

29. Mike — January 12, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Though I might not put together this recipe – it looks and seems amazing. I have to agree with the homemade sauce. Rather than buy prepared sauce, always take the extra time to cook up a batch at home. Great job!

30. Georgia Pellegrini — January 13, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Growing up in an Italian family, cannelloni has a special place in my heart. The fennel seeds seem like an excellent addition

31. twopeas — January 13, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

My dad always used fennel in his sauce, I decided to carry on the family tradition:)

32. Pingback: The Weekend Dish: 1/15/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker

33. Chaya — January 17, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

This is food at its best. I am beginning to wonder if I could make every one of your recipes. They are all so good sounding.

34. Chili Dude — January 20, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

Love this recipe! My wife made it tonight for dinner, it was so so so so so good.

35. mary — January 21, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Your recipe looks great, it doesn’t look hard at all, I only use Barilla Pasta in our home, will get the no boil lasagna noodles and make this..yummy for the tummy, good way to eat your spinach and cheese each and everyday..wonderful for the 35 degree days with no sky only gloomy here for about 7 to 8 months of the year..will brighten up my families meal times..thanks for the recipe!!!!!!!!!

36. twopeas — January 21, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

You are very welcome. Enjoy!

37. LikeCooking — January 25, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check

38. Fight the Fat Foodie — February 1, 2011 @ 7:40 am

I love the combination of spinach and mushrooms and cannelloni is one of my favorite dishes. Have you tried making crespelle (Italian crepes) for it instead of pasta? It’s a wonderful, easy traditional way to make cannelloni. You can find my lightened version at http://fightthefatfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/06/meatless-monday-asparagus-mushroom.html

39. Pingback: Mushroom canalone | Etfoutlet