Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

My avocado obsession continues, this time with Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese! If you like our Creamy Avocado Pasta, you will love this decadent macaroni and cheese. It is basically the same delicious pasta, but kicked up a notch. Josh thought I was a little looney when I told him what we were having for dinner, but after one bite, he was in mac and cheese heaven. If you are an avocado lover, you will go crazy for this macaroni and cheese!

This avocado macaroni and cheese is so easy to make. It is perfect for busy weeknights or whenever you are craving a comforting meal, but feeling lazy. You don’t even have to turn on the oven. To make the pasta, you boil the macaroni, make the avocado sauce in the food processor, and whisk together a cheesy sauce on the stove top. You combine everything in a big bowl and devour!

The creamy avocado sauce coats the pasta nicely with a hint of garlic, cilantro, and lime. The creamy cheese sauce is out of this world. We used Pepper Jack cheese, which gave the dish a nice kick. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack. I garnished the macaroni and cheese with fresh avocado chunks. You can never have too much avocado!

This Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese is all kinds of awesome! It is creamy, cheesy, and comforting. When you are in the need for pure comfort food, make this mac and cheese. It is comfort food to the max! This is also a great dish for Cinco de Mayo. I think chips and guacamole would go great on the side:)

Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

Yield: Serves 4-6

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Creamy, cheesy, and easy Avocado Mac and Cheese!

10 ounces dry elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh avocado chunks, for garnish, if desired

1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Salt the water and add in macaroni. Stir and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. While the pasta is cooking, make the avocado sauce by placing the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.

3. To make the cheese sauce, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in Pepper Jack cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.

4. Place macaroni in a large bowl. Pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated. Add the cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm. Garnish with fresh avocado chunks, if desired.

Note-the lime juice keeps the avocado from browning. The mac and cheese is best eaten the first day, but it is still good the second day. The pasta may turn slightly brown, but not bad. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack or White Cheddar Cheese.

If you like this Stove Top Avocado Mac and Cheese, you might also like:

278 Responses to “Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese”

Jenny — May 2, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

This looks so good and will help me continue on my avocado obsession!

Jenn — May 2, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

I’m also wondering how long it will hold. Looks amazing!

• Two Peas replied: — May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:02 am

It’s best the first day, but we enjoyed the leftovers too!

Bev Weidner — May 2, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

Shut your face, this is rad!

Beth Ezidro — May 2, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Wow that sounds so yummy can’t wait to try it :)

I love avocados, but would never think of pairing them with Mac & Cheese – this is pretty genius.

Esther — May 2, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

I recently learned that if you use a ceramic or plastic knife to cut your avocados that they will stay green for hours. Not sure how heating the avocado with the cheese sauce will affect them…but I’m willing to try it out. I’m glad I have some avocados in the ‘fridge!

Mimi Avocado — May 2, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

Love this! And love this quote: “You can never have too much avocado!” Can’t wait until you can come and visit the ranch…we’ll test that!

Joanne — May 2, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

I love avocados in crazy applications…and this is definitely taking first place!

Cary — May 2, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

Just finished making this (using gluten free pasta and flour) and it is absolutely delicious! I am so excited to share this with everyone I know as a new spin on Mac and Cheese!

• Two Peas replied: — May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:01 am

So glad you liked it!

Row — May 3, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Wow, this is cool! I love avocados, so this dish would be great to try. Thanks! :)

Erin — May 3, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I haven’t tried the pasta yet but surely this has to be amazing.

Becca — May 3, 2012 @ 9:52 am

I love your website! I never would have thought of half (and that’s being generous to myself, ha-ha) these re-invented recipes you do! And I love your obsession with avocado! My sons share your great love for it, and you have given me so many different ways to serve it to them…they’re in avocado heaven! Thanks!

• Two Peas replied: — May 3rd, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Thank you!

gina @ skinnytaste — May 3, 2012 @ 10:28 am

That looks crazy good!!

Kristen — May 3, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

What a unique recipe! We do love avocado… bet we’d love this mac & cheese too!

Dang, you are always making the most amazing avocado recipes!! I’m addicted to the avocado bruscetta, and the avocado grilled cheese already. I have a feeling I’m going to be addicted to this one, as well.

Lauren — May 3, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

No WAY!!! I must try this!

Cara — May 3, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

I have seen many twists on mac n cheese but this has got to be my favorite! Nicely done :)

Just stocked up on avocados for this weekend. I might have to sneak this one in!!

Baking Serendipity — May 4, 2012 @ 12:10 am

This is absolutely perfect! I love new uses for avocado and cannot wait to try this one :)

You are seriously so clever. As a California, avocado-loving gal, I can’t think of anything more delicious than this!

Hot damn! Ok… I’m making this as soon as I get back to the States… pure brilliance!

What a fabulous way to use avocados, so unique!

marla — May 4, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Love the twist with the creamy avocado!

24. Pingback: Favorite Finds Friday 5.4.12 | Life's a Bowl

25. Pingback: Friday Fun! May 4, 2012

26. Pingback: Mean Green Mac and Cheese « thedishbytrish

Ann P. — May 5, 2012 @ 3:19 am

And i thought mac and cheese couldn’t get any better! This is amazing I have got to try it!

Sweetsugarbelle — May 6, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

This looks like so much fun! My kids will go wild over green macaroni!!!

Esther — May 6, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

Thanks for the unique recipe. I used a combination of Monterey Jack and White Cheddar (my husband can’t handle Pepper Jack cheese) and all I tasted was lime and cilantro. Definitely need to spice this up on my end!

Aurora — May 6, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

thanks so much for the great recipe!! toasted some crusty garlic bread and made a fantastic feast of it!

Alecia — May 7, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

This was an excellent dinner! Thank you so much for finding creative ways to use avocado! I love them!!

Alecia

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — May 8, 2012 @ 7:15 am

I am really liking the sound of this avocado mac n cheese!

Aggie — May 8, 2012 @ 7:26 am

ahhh, I love this!! It’s perfect :)

34. Pingback: One of my favorite foods « Ashley Morgan Arts

Jean — May 9, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

This looks unbelievable! Thank you :D

36. Pingback: Magimix by Robot-Coupe 12 Cup Food Processor Giveaway | Two Peas & Their Pod

yummmmm. I love avocado. Will definitely be making this for dinner, yummy!!

Kathie — May 10, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Move over Green Eggs and Ham!! This looks fab. But here’s a lame question, does it taste super “avocadoey” or is it a hint? I would love to sneak this in to my husband and oldest son, as myself and the other two children are the only true avocado lovers in the house…one of those “try it and tell me if you like it before I tell you what’s in it” scenarios!

Fajas — May 10, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

Whoa! Now this is something new. Now I have something to try out on the weekend, please do pray for me that I get this right. Especially that my husband is a huge fan of mac n cheese.

Jill — May 10, 2012 @ 1:45 pm