I have always enjoyed strawberries, but lately I am obsessed. Strawberries are one of the few foods that I count on right now. They always taste good. Luckily, they were on sale last week for 88 cents a pound. We stocked up and I have been eating them like mad. I put them on my cereal, mix them in my yogurt, and eat them plain. I also made this delightful Strawberry Cake.
I love that this cake is easy to make and requires basic ingredients. I had the batter in the pan in about ten minutes. The sliced strawberries peek through cake, creating a beautiful snack cake. The cake is moist and reminds me of strawberry shortcake, one of my favorite desserts. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you enjoy ripe, red strawberries, you will love this Strawberry Cake. It is a great dessert for spring.
This easy strawberry cake is one of our favorite desserts. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Yield: Serves 10
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan or pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Arrange strawberry slices on top of batter. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan. To serve, cut into wedges. Store cake at room temperature, for up to two days.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Strawberry Cake, you might also like:
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod
Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebobs from How Sweet It Is
Strawberry Shortcake Cake from The Food Librarian