Strawberry Ricotta Scones

Josh does most of the grocery shopping now that we have Caleb. It is easier for him to stop at the store on his way home from work than for me to take Caleb during the day. I always give Josh a list of what we need for the week. He does a pretty good job at sticking to list, but sometimes he comes home with “surprise” items like toffee bars, Golden Puffs, or donuts. Well, this week he came home with a good surprise-strawberries. They were on sale and looked really good so he picked up a couple of packages. Good job, honey! I used some of the strawberries to make Strawberry Ricotta Scones.

I love baking scones and enjoy trying new recipes. I had some ricotta cheese that needed to be used and decided to add the cheese to my scone dough. The result was amazing! The scones are moist, with a tender and delicate crumb. There is a hint of lemon and burst of strawberry in every bite. These scones are perfect for spring. We enjoyed them for breakfast, but they would also be good as a snack or dessert. I can easily see myself topping a scone with whipped cream and extra strawberries for dessert. Next time:)

Pick up some strawberries at the market, or have your significant other do the shopping, and make these Strawberry Ricotta Scones. They are the perfect weekend breakfast treat! Check out my guest post on Cafe Zupas blog. Have a great weekend everyone!

Strawberry Ricotta Scones

Yield: 8 scones

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (I use low-fat)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
Milk or heavy cream, for brushing the scones
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on scones

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat and set aside.

2. Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add the ricotta cheese and whisk until combined. There will still be a few lumps. Set aside.

3. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon sugar mixture. Add the butter pieces to the flour mixture and toss with a fork just until the butter is coated with flour. Using a pastry cutter, fork, or your hands, cut the butter into the flour until you have a mixture of pea-sized or slightly larger clumps of butter and flour.

4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until just combined. Don’t overmix the dough. Gently fold in the strawberries. Turn out the dough onto a well floured space and gently and shortly knead the dough. If the dough is too sticky, you can add a little bit of flour as you knead. Pat the dough down into a disk, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 wedges or cut into rounds with a biscuit or cookie cutter.

5. Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet and brush with milk or heavy cream. Sprinkle scones with turbinado sugar. Bake for about 15-20 mins, or until the scones are golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack and serve.

Note-the dough is sticky due to the ricotta cheese. You might have to add more flour when kneading. Just try to be gentle and not overwork the dough.

88 Responses to “Strawberry Ricotta Scones”

Lea @ iCooklea — April 20, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Awesome! Would it still be good if the strawberries are kind of bland? Thinking of using it for watery batches…

• Two Peas replied: — April 20th, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Maybe add a little extra sugar or lemon for flavor if the strawberries are bland.

Chels R — April 20, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

I love Scones!!!

Love strawberries and scones, so I cannot wait to try this recipe.

Joanie Zisk — April 20, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

I love scones and these look so pretty. What a neat idea to use ricotta!

Rebecca Kipe — April 20, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Any idea if these could be made with frozen strawberries? Maybe slightly thawed? Even thawed they might leave a lovely red swirl :) I always have frozen strawberries, but not always fresh. These look lovely!

• Two Peas replied: — April 20th, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

I haven’t tried them with frozen strawberries. Don’t thaw them too much or they might get too juicy and cause the dough to turn pink and get too watery. I am sure they will work though!

Joanne — April 20, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

That is one super smart husband you’ve got! These scones look like the perfect weekend breakfast treat!

Rachel — April 20, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

This is only the second time I’ve made scones and both times they ended up spreading out into each other on the baking sheet. What am I doing wrong? I think maybe my dough is too warm when I put it in the oven. Maybe I should refrigerate it first?

• Two Peas replied: — April 20th, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

Is your butter cold? It needs to be really cold!

Naomi — April 20, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

Maria-this looks amazing! Great recipe!

9. Pingback: Blueberry Breakfast Bars Recipe

Deborah — April 21, 2012 @ 10:00 am

I can’t send my husband to the grocery store because he comes home with twice as much as was on my list!! These sound so good, though. I’ve had ricotta in cookies before, I bet it’s fantastic in scones!

Oh funny, we do the opposite. My little boy LOVES going grocery shopping so I purposely plan it into our days :-)

Jen — April 21, 2012 @ 11:42 am

I just made these and they were flat. :( I’ve made lots of scones before with no problems. My ingredients are fresh and I double-checked that I used the correct amounts. What happened?? They usually look beautiful like the picture!

Jen — April 21, 2012 @ 11:47 am

Also, my dough was pretty sticky so I had to add quite a bit of extra flour. I couldn’t even really knead it. That might make a difference, right?

14. Pingback: Lördagslänkar | Söta saker

Krissy's Creations — April 21, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Strawberries in scones is my favorite! Beautiful recipe :)

Lucy Lean — April 21, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

Where was this recipe when I needed it over the Easter weekend? :) thanks for sharing and enjoy the weekend.

paula — April 22, 2012 @ 8:15 am

I never know what I’m going to end up with when I send my husband to the store…usually lots of junk food! Strawberries are a good surprise, so many uses. These scones look fabulous!

marla — April 22, 2012 @ 11:49 am

Love these scones all bursting with strawberry greatness!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — April 22, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

These look so good! I am totally making them one day soon. These would be great for Mother’s day

Bunny — April 22, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

I have baked with ricotta so I know what it can do for cakes. I can’t wait to try these!

Tracy — April 22, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

Been on a 2P kick today:) Made these today for the coming weeks breakfast AFTER your ricotta pancakes (a family fav). Made them with lime since we were out of lemon and they have already been ‘sampled’ – ummmmummmm – btw I did have to add a touch more flour. Now off to clean out and maybe nap before making avocado pasta:) for dinner!

Lori — April 22, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

These are beautiful! I make scones often, but have never used ricotta in them. What a great idea!

These look incredibly amazing! Ricotta and strawberry are a wonderful combination.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — April 22, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

These look absolutely beautiful (and dangerously deeeelicious)!

Lindy — April 25, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

Can you make these the night before and cook in the morning?

• Two Peas replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 12:01 am

I haven’t tried making them the night before and baking the morning. They are still tasty the next day. If you do, make sure you refrigerate the dough. Let me know if it works! ENjoy!

Chantelle — April 26, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

I made these with whole wheat flour and frozen raspberries (I’m moving in a week and trying to clean out my freezer and fridge) I was wondering what on earth am I going to do with the Ricotta cheese in my fridge?! Then I saw this!

These scones are awesome!!! Quite messy to make, but totally worth it :)

27. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Nikkilooch

Ann P. — May 6, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

Beautiful scones! I bet the ricotta adds the perfect tang and tenderness to these. And really, that plate is gorgeous! Would you mind telling me where you got it? I would love a set!

29. Pingback: celebrate: mother’s day | Café Zupas

Gina — May 11, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

This recipe sounded so yummy! And the are! So the second time I made them I thought of another ingredient that would send these over the top. I added 2 tablespoons of fresh snipped basil. They turned out fantastic! Give it a try!

31. Pingback: Strawberry Ricotta Cookies - Lemons for Lulu | Lemons for Lulu

32. Pingback: Strawberry Ricotta Scones « Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Dessert

Lourdes — September 18, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

Oh, I wanted to make these so badly! I gathered all of the ingredients and lovingly prepared them, only to have the butter start oozing out and nearly set a fire in the oven! I must have done something wrong. I’m not really a baking expert, so perhaps scones were a bit too complicated of dish to start with?

I used 1 stick of butter (which was supposed to be 1/2 cup, as per the wax paper wrapping on the stick). Should I have measured the already cut cold cubes into my 1/2 cup? I hope to hear from someone soon. I was even taking pictures of the process to blog about it on my beauty blog, (because scones and tea are very ladylike). Thank you all in advance.

Laura — January 27, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

What a yummy recipe! I remade it on my blog and took 2 batches to the workers at my local farmer’s market since they gave me so many extra strawberries. Yum!

Anne — February 15, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

Made these yesterday for dessert for Valentine’s dinner. Topped them with fresh whip cream and a sliced strawberry and a few blueberries. So yummy and a real hit!

36. Pingback: Sunday Brunch | katesspanishadventure

37. Pingback: 75 Strawberry Dessert Recipes

38. Pingback: Balsamic Strawberry Ricotta Shortcake Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

39. Pingback: 50 Strawberry Dessert Recipes | Six Sisters' Stuff

40. Pingback: 41 Scrumptious Ways To Make Scones For Your Sweetie | GossipViews.com