Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Brown spotted bananas were sitting on our counter, staring me down. I tried to ignore them, but they kept haunting me. It seems like I can never eat bananas fast enough. They always turn brown and beg me to put them to good use. I usually bake banana bread, banana cookies, banana cake, or use them in a smoothie. This time I decided to turn them into ice cream since it is so hot outside. I used the popular “One Ingredient Banana Ice Cream” recipe, but added peanut butter, creating a Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

I was a little skeptical about this recipe. How could two ingredients create a smooth and creamy ice cream?  There is no cream, milk, eggs, or even sugar involved. I was willing to give it a try though. I had to use up my brown bananas!

I sliced up four ripe bananas and put them on a large plate. I put them in the freezer and let them chill until they were frozen-about two hours.

I put the frozen banana slices in my Blendtec blender. If you don’t have a super powerful blender, use a food processor. The blender or food processor needs to be powerful to puree the frozen banana slices. It will take some work from the machine:)

I pulverized the banana slices for a few minutes, scraping down the sides a few times. Then I blended them again. The bananas will take some time to reach an ice cream texture, so be patient. When the bananas were smooth and creamy, I added in the peanut butter and blended the mixture one more time. I was amazed at the rich and silky texture. I grabbed a spoon and tasted the banana peanut butter ice cream and I was amazed. It was the best peanut butter banana ice cream I have ever tasted. I can’t believe I created this heavenly ice cream with only two ingredients. Plus, you don’t even need an ice cream maker to make this recipe. This recipe really is magical!

If you are looking for a new way to use up your ripe bananas, try this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream. The recipe is super simple to make and no one will ever know there are only two ingredients involved. I love that this Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream is healthy too! I am going to be dishing up this ice cream all summer long!

Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Yield: Serves 4

4 large very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter

1. Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours.

2. Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve.

*Note-if you have a hard time creating a creamy consistency, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to help puree the banana slices. Make sure you use a powerful food processor or blender!

Recipe from The Kitchn

If you like this Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream, you might also like:

Roasted Banana Ice Cream from Brown Eyed Baker
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream from Bake at 350
Nutella Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream from The Hungry Housewife
Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream from Two Peas and Their Pod

Yum Pin It

328 Responses to “Two-Ingredient Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream”

1. Pamc — July 27, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

I just made a smoothie with my brown bananas… this will be the next recipe I make with the others. Delicious!

2. Joanne — July 27, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

I’ve seen this banana ice cream business around before, but the PB addition is what’s really sold me!

3. Heidi @ Food Doodles — July 27, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Yum! We love making this kind of banana ice cream. Sometimes I add about a spoonful of cocoa powder per banana to mine(or you can add more but you might need to add sugar then) and that’s so good!

4. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — July 27, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

This is just amazing! I cannot wait to try this one.

5. That is way cool. I never would have expected bananas to do that. We love frozen bananas dipped in chocolate at my home. I’ll have to try this though-thanks!

6. Mari's Cakes — July 27, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Wonderful combination, I am sure my daughters are going to looooove this ice-cream. Thanks for the recipe :)

7. Katherine — July 27, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

so this wonderful ice cream does not need an ice cream maker at all?! that is amazing news!! I have been wanting to make ice cream FOREVER but every recipe needs an ice cream machine and I don’t have one :(

8. bridget {bake at 350} — July 27, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

I’ve *heard* of making ice cream this way…..now I have to try it! So smart…and EASY!

{ps…thank you so much for the linky love!}

9. Donna — July 27, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Fabulous innovation – my hubby LOVES banana and peanut butter together. Will be making this tonite!

10. Amilia Nimblett — July 27, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Oh my goodness! I saw this recipe this morning and knew I had to make it- I was planning on making a smoothie with the very ripe banana we had but made this instead! I’m sitting here now eating it and it is so delicious!

11. Tracy — July 27, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

This sounds absolutely divine, and so easy too! Can’t wait to give it a try!

12. Becky at Vintage Mixer — July 27, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Two of my favorite flavors! I can’t wait to try this. I’m actually sad it doesn’t require a ice cream maker because I just got a new one and have been looking for excuses to use it :)

13. Two Peas — July 27, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

PB and banana sandwiches are my favorite-with a little honey:)

14. Two Peas — July 27, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

I didn’t use the ice cream setting, but I probably should have:) I am sure it would work wonders!

15. Wow, I haven’t heard of the one ingredient ice cream, but this sounds outstanding! Love that you used peanut butter too :)

16. Emily — July 27, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

Saw this earlier today, and had to try it tonight when I got home from work. I don’t have a blender, so had to use a food processor, but it worked great! SOO good!! I will definitely make this again! :)

17. wow i was totally skeptical reading this thinking how on earth will this become ice cream without the milk but it does actually really sound good! and i have that pesky brown spotted banana on the counter waiting to be put to good use!

18. I love how simple this is to make!

19. Jeanette — July 27, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

I love how frozen bananas make such a nice rich and creamy ice cream – great addition of peanut butter. Now maybe just a drizzle of chocolate sauce for a bit of indulgence.

20. Monica — July 27, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

I am so excited to try this one! Bananas and peanut butter are my favorite!!

21. Andrea @ Vegvacious — July 27, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

I love finding new twists on banana soft serve. I make a mean chocolate banana soft serve (bananas + cocoa = heaven!) and I can’t believe I never thought to add peanut butter. I have a freezer full of frozen bananas and I think its safe to guess what I’m going to be making!!!

22. Amanda — July 27, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

This is awesome Maria!!! I would LOVE to try it… I might have to convince hubby to get me a blendtec just so I can make him this ice cream. :)

23. Alivia — July 27, 2011 @ 11:43 pm

Duh, peanut butter! Why didn’t I think of that before?!?! have made banana ice cream before and am a peanutbutteraholic. Thanks for the great idea!

24. Lucy Lean — July 28, 2011 @ 12:50 am

I love this recipe – I’m thinking a few chocolate chunks in that one ingredient banana ice cream would make a rather good Chunky Monkey…

25. Two Peas — July 28, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Yay! Glad you liked the ice cream!

26. Emily — July 28, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

This is amazing – who knew making ice cream could be this simple? I can’t wait to try it!

27. Sabrina — July 28, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Not only is this recipe healthy, it can be frugal! I’ve been making awesome “milkshakes” with frozen bananas, soy milk & cocoa powder for months now & hoarding freckled ‘nanas in the freezer. At my grocery store, they sell bags of the older bananas for $1.49 – it works out to about 30 cents a pound. I keep them cleaned out!

28. Renee — July 28, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blendtec blender! Now I think I have to go get bananas just so they can get ripe!

29. Donna G — July 28, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Banana ice cream is the Boss’ favorite dessert. I add a couple tablespoons of cocoa (he likes regular; I like dark), a couple small handfuls of walnuts and a tablespoon of fat-free half and half. I will have to give the peanut butter a whirl (sorry, coudn’t resist…).

30. Michele — July 28, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Just got done whipping up a batch of this yummy goodness! LOVE-IT!

My avocados were starring at me while I was eating this straight from the food-processor bowl. Wouldn’t avocados lend the same creaminess that bananas do? What would you pair with them for an ice cream like this?

31. Georgia Pellegrini — July 28, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Two ingredient anything is a wonderful thing! This looks divine.

32. Two Peas — July 28, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

I’ve made avocado ice cream before-the recipe is on our site. It had more than two ingredients though:)

33. Baking Serendipity — July 28, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

I love this! I’ve used frozen bananas in a smoothie before, but never thought to let them stand alone as ice cream. And with peanut butter? Even better!

34. Sommer — July 29, 2011 @ 6:23 am

Love this idea. Can’t wait to try it. I wonder if anyone has used almond butter to make this as well?

35. Two Peas — July 29, 2011 @ 10:13 am

I am sure almond butter would be delicious!

36. Looks so delicious! I’ve tried it with just bananas, I def will add some peanut butter into it next time! Thanks!

37. Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — July 29, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

Gosh I have seen this on blogsphere and have been meaning to try it but now I surely am. Looks delicious :-)

38. As someone who has yet to buy an ice cream maker this recipe is right up my alley! Woohoo! I can’t wait to make this…and eat it!

39. vanillasugarblog — July 29, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

and this is by far a much healthier way of eating ice cream.
    if you happen to go to trader joe’s, they have these frozen choco covered banana slices, that are perfect for using in an ice cream base as this. You really have to try them.

40. Kendra — July 29, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

This looks a-mazing! Do you think any old food processor will work? My 3-yr old will love this! Is it a really hard blend?