Tzatziki Sauce

If you haven’t heard of or tried Tzatziki, today is your lucky day because I am sharing an easy recipe for Tzatziki. Tzatziki is a traditional Greek sauce or dip that is made of yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh dill. It is a great dip for vegetables, pita bread, or crackers. You can also serve it with grilled meats, fish, gyros, falafel, or souvlaki. It is good on so many things. I like to add it to my veggie sandwiches. The options are endless when it comes to Tzatziki.

I always use Greek yogurt to make Tzatziki because it is thicker than regular yogurt. If you want to use regular yogurt, just make sure you strain it before using. You want to make sure the tzatziki sauce is thick and creamy. The yogurt gives the sauce a nice tang while the cucumber, lemon, and fresh dill add a cool and refreshing flavor. Tzatziki is simple to make and tastes great with a variety of foods. It is also good for you. Greek yogurt is high in protein, calcium, and the cucumber will help you sneak in a vegetable serving.

So what are you waiting for? Go whip up some tzatziki sauce. You can thank me later:)

Tzatziki Sauce

Yield: 3 cups

Total Time: 10 minutes

2 cups plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0%)
1 cup diced seedless cucumber
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a medium bowl, combine Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, and dill. Stir until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper. If you have time, chill before serving.

*Note-Serve with vegetables, pita bread, crackers, falafel, meat/fish, souvlaki, or gyros. Will keep in the refrigerator 2-3 days. Stir before serving.

If you like this Tzatziki Sauce, you might also like:

Swiss Chard Tzatziki from Simply Recipes
Tzatziki Chicken Salad from Poor Girl Eats Well
Cucumber & Yogurt Salad with Feta & Dill from Kalyn’s Kitchen

93 Responses to “Tzatziki Sauce”

A Bowl Of Mush — April 7, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Love tzatziki! Reminds me of summer holidays in Greece where they would always bring out yummy tzatziki and bread before every meal!

bellini — April 7, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

This is definitely one of my favourite sauces. I love it on almost everything from chicken to pitas.

The Italian Dish — April 7, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

I always have greek yogurt in my fridge. I should make this!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — April 7, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Greek food is hands down my most fave food ever!! This recipe looks easy and delish ~I can’t wait to give it a try!

Dana — April 7, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

I catered a lunch last Friday and this was one of three dips I served. I love it so much and it just flew out of the bowl.

I love tzatziki with bread or as a dip for veggies.

Jeanette — April 8, 2011 @ 7:34 am

I love tzatziki sauce. I serve it with grilled chicken souvlaki for my kids.

Mary — April 8, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Maria, this looks delicious. Have a wonderful weekend. Blessings…Mary

Sana — April 9, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

This looks great, it will work great with strained yogurt too!
    I live in india so we make dips with home made yogurt every day!! definitely giving this one a try too=)

Jason — April 16, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

Looks very ethnic…

Oh I love tzatziki! Which reminds me, I am overdue for a gyro :)

12. Pingback: Greek Yogurt Tzatziki « Chez Darren Andrew

13. Pingback: Tzatziki Sauce « Simple Sophistication

14. Pingback: Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce « A Dash of Sugar and Spice

Levent Göktem — January 9, 2012 @ 3:07 am

Yogurt is a Turkish invention and it’s known as “Turkish Yogurt” all over the world. Even the word is Turkish. So, your naming it as “Greek yogurt” seems to me a little bit irrelevant.

See: http://foodjournal.typepad.com/.a/6a0134889995f0970c0147e36b50cf970b-500wi

16. Pingback: A Tribute to my Dad, Jim and the 49ers « Jae Berman Nutrition

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 12, 2012 @ 11:25 pm

Made this to accompany some baked falafel for a friend’s birthday dinner tonight – it was great! Instead of dicing the cucumbers, I salted them to draw out the water, then chopped them up in the food processor and squeezed out all the excess water by hand before adding them to the yogurt. I like my tzatziki super thick :)

Amanda — March 6, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

I made this tonight with falafal. IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I added a little feta into it as well. YUMMY! Thanks for a great easy recipe. Oh and I also grated the cucumber and then squeezed out the extra liquid.

19. Pingback: What To Make With What’s On Sale: Cucumbers – Denver Bargains™

20. Pingback: adrienne: five favorite dips plus five to try « eat me, drink me, bite me

21. Pingback: Tzatziki « Law & Butter

22. Pingback: Recipe: Baked Chickpea Burgers | Greatist.comHealth and Fitness Articles, News, and Tips – Greatist.com

23. Pingback: Atkins Recipe Requests Induction friendly Tzatziki recipe?

24. Pingback: Tzatziki, Love « The Kitchen Radio

Yue — October 15, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

You said I’d thank you later and now this is me thanking you later!

I didn’t have garlic and substituted the lemon juice with fresh tangerine juice, was awesome :D

Diana @ Eating Made Easy — November 11, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

I use Tzatziki all the time but many have never heard of it. Thanks for this simple recipe!

27. Pingback: » Tzatziki Sauce Greek Yogurt

28. Pingback: 75 Healthy Recipes to Kick Off 2013 | Healthy Recipes | Two Peas & Their Pod

Get More Data — March 17, 2013 @ 3:07 pm

Appreciating the commitment you put into your blog and in depth information you offer. It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Excellent read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

30. Pingback: Greek Pizza | Greek Pizza Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

31. Pingback: Greek goodness: theTzatziki sauce. | Take Charge LLC

32. Pingback: Greek Chicken Burgers WIth Tzatziki Sauce « HomeLifeWithMrsB

Usually I do not read article on blogs, however I wish to say
    that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it!

Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.

Numerology Diet Free — September 12, 2013 @ 12:57 pm

While there are countless variables which appear to be external and beyond control, we can certainly
    position ourselves better in relation to those
    variables, if we know HOW. Below the pictures, a caption asks,
    “Who wears it well. Some people get a great deal of information from the physical energy that someone brings to the room while others find all of the visual information far too distracting.

35. Pingback: Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwich Recipe | Veggie Sandwich | Two Peas & Their Pod

Jennifer W — September 21, 2013 @ 10:58 am

This is a great recipe. I did peel and grate the cucumber instead of dicing…just liked the texture, etc better. Still super simple and good!

one minute cure pdf — October 10, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Terrific article! That is the kind of information that are meant to be shared across
    the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this put
    up higher! Come on over and consult with my site . Thanks =)

tao of badass free pdf — October 11, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired!
    Extremely helpful info specifically the remaining phase :
    ) I care for such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information
    for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

39. Pingback: How To Make Homemade Tzatziki Sauce

Isochronic Tone Generator — October 28, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

Nice blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Appreciate it