Yogurt Coffee Cake
Mother’s Day is on Sunday. This is my first Mother’s Day being a mother, so I don’t really know what to expect, but I hope some pampering is involved:) Being a mother is the best job, but it is a hard job. All of the mom’s out there definitely deserve a special day and that special day should involve this Yogurt Coffee Cake. It is perfect for Mother’s Day brunch.
I make this Yogurt Coffee Cake all of the time and it is always a hit. I adapted this recipe from Ina Garten. She uses sour cream, but because I am a Greek Yogurt fanatic, I always substitute Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt. It works like a charm. The yogurt keeps the cake nice and moist.
The cake has a cinnamon streusel filling and topping. Double the yum! When the cake cools, I drizzle cream cheese glaze all over the cake. When you cut into the cake you will see a beautiful tunnel of cinnamon streusel. The cake is gorgeous to serve and tasty to eat.
Make mom feel extra special this Mother’s Day by making her this Yogurt Coffee Cake. It’s perfect for Mother’s Day brunch. And if you don’t do brunch, it’s just as delicious for dessert.
Caleb is too little to make me this cake on Mother’s Day, but maybe he can help his daddy. I know my first Mother’s Day would be extra special with a big fat piece of this cake for brunch. Hint, hint, Josh:)
Yogurt Coffee Cake
Yield: Serves 10
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
This yogurt coffee cake has a cinnamon streusel filling and topping and is finished off with a cream cheese glaze. It is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt (I use 0% plain Chobani)
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the streusel:
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
For the cream cheese glaze:
3 ounces softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons milk, or enough to make it a glazing consistency
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 4 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla and Greek yogurt. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
3. For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble.
4. Spoon half the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
5. Let cool on a wire rack. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate. To make the cream cheese glaze, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract and milk. Beat until smooth and until you have a glaze consistency. Drizzle cream cheese glaze over cooled cake and serve.
Adapted from Ina Garten
If you like this Yogurt Coffee Cake, you might also like: