Happy New Year! Today is the first day of the Ten in 2010 Healthy Challenge. Have you set your health goals for 2010 yet? If not, there is still time. Here are some tips to help you create goals you can accomplish successfully this year.
- Be specific and realistic. Be clear on what you want to achieve. For example, don’t set a goal of “losing weight.” Be specific. How much weight do you want to lose? When do you want to lose it by? How will you lose it? Don’t make goals that can’t be reached. If you have never ran a mile in your life, don’t make your goal to run a marathon, be realistic, try running a 5K first and work your way up from there.
- Focus. Don’t set too many goals. Focus on one or two goals to start so you don’t get overwhelmed and burnt out. When you reach those goals, move on to new goals.
- Write it down. Describe precisely what you want, how you will earn it, when you will have it, and the benefits you’ll receive from achieving your goal.
- Review your goals. Keep a journal and write about your journey. You can also write your goals on a piece of paper and post them on your refrigerator, mirror, computer screen…wherever you will see them daily. Create motivational tips/quotes to post too!
- Find Support. Confide in a friend, family member, or co-worker. Tell them your goal and how you plan to reach it. Check in with them at least once a week. Try to find someone that is working on the same goal so you can support each other. If your goal is to go to the gym 5 days a week, find a workout buddy and go together.
- Reward yourself. This is my favorite step…ha! Set mini rewards along the way, but make sure they go along with your overall goal. If your goal is to save money, don’t go on a shopping spree for your reward. Go on a scenic hike, go to the library and check out a new book or movie, or create a spa night at home.
- Allow for slip-ups. Everyone makes mistakes. Don’t give up on your goals if you mess up. Recognize your mistakes and find a solution. Each day is a new day. Don’t be too hard on yourself.
- Set a deadline. Set a specific date to meet your goal, again, make sure it is realistic. If you don’t meet your goal by that date, don’t throw in the towel. Keep going, just re-evaluate. If you reach your goal-celebrate and maintain your success.
- HAVE FUN! Sure, making changes can be hard, but find the joy in the journey!
If you would like to join the 10 in 10 challenge, there is still time. Sign up here. You can follow the group on Spark People and on Twitter with the #10in10 hashtag. Everyone has different goals, this group is helping anyone and everyone make healthy behavior changes in 2010. I will be posting “special” health posts/tips every Saturday.
So what are my goals for 2010?
1. I plan on gaining ten pounds during the 10 in 10 challenge. Yes, I need to gain weight-I promise it is not all fun and games. I struggle with gaining weight and haven’t been successful in the past, but this is my year:) To reach my goal, I need to limit my cardio. I love working out, but I need to be careful to not overdo it. I will still exercise daily, but I want to increase my strength training and not do as much cardio for a little while. I also want to practice more yoga and pilates.
2. Eat more healthy fats, calories, and protein. I need to gain weight, but I am not going to sit on the couch and eat bon bons all day. I want to gain weight the healthy way. I plan on incorporating more nuts, olive oil, beans, whole grains, etc. into my diet. I need to make each meal/snack count! I don’t eat meat and need to focus on getting enough protein into my diet too. I want to make sure I am getting my 9 servings of fruits and veggies too.
3. A few other goals-do more service for others, read at least one book a month, travel to a few fun places, and have a positve attitude!
Josh isn’t technically signed up for the challenge, but he did get a gym membership and plans on “getting fit” in 2010. He is very supportive of my goals and will be my rock through this challenge.
What are your goals? Feel free to share! Here’s to a Happy Healthy 2010!