I hate being sick. It is not fun, but I REALLY hate being sick when I am traveling. I am on a work trip and woke up with the flu this morning. The hotel staff bought me some medicine, I am extremely grateful for their help, but I really just want to go home. I need my own bed and my hubs. I have been trying to rest, but I am still not feeling better. I hope I can survive the rest of the week. Luckily, my co-workers stepped it up today and covered my duties. They are the best. I owe them big time.
I don’t feel like food today, but hopefully you will enjoy this post:) Last week we made a Mexican Tofu Scramble and it was sooooo good! I like tofu, but have never tried to scramble it. I wasn’t sure if I would like it and I was really worried if Joshua would like it. Well, it was a huge success! Two thumbs up all around the table:)
Tofu really takes on any flavor you want it to, so we went with Mexican. We sauteed onion, garlic, and red peppers and added in the crumbled tofu and diced green chiles. We seasoned everything with chili powder, cumin, and cilantro for an added kick.
We served up our scramble in a whole wheat tortilla with the works: diced tomatoes, avocado, fresh salsa, and cheese for Josh. I loved this meal! It was delicious and nutritious! Try scrambling tofu instead of eggs! I know we will be making this one again.
Mexican Tofu Scramble
½ red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
Extra firm tofu (we used ½ package)
Diced green chiles
Salt and pepper
Whole wheat tortillas
1. Take the tofu and press it between two plates to drain out the liquid. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
2. Saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in a little olive oil, in a large skillet until tender.
3. Crumble the tofu into the large skillet and add the green chiles.
4. Add the chili powder, cumin, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Add a little and taste. If you want more flavor, add in more seasonings. We didn’t measure, sorry!
5. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
6. Serve scramble in a whole wheat tortilla.
7. Add tomatoes, avocado, salsa, and cheese.