April is National Grilled Cheese Month which makes it pretty much the best month ever. Well, tomorrow is even more special because it is National Grilled Cheese Day. I love a good traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but I also like fancying them up a bit. My all time favorite is my Guacamole Grilled Cheese, but my latest obsession is this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich. If you are looking for a special sandwich to celebrate this fine day or month, you can count on this grilled cheese. It does not disappoint.
I made this sandwich yesterday for lunch because I was in the mood for comfort food. Caleb came down with a nasty cold on Sunday and we had to take him to the doctor on Monday. Luckily, he is fine and it’s just a bad cold, but I hate that he is sick. He’s fighting a fever, cough, and hoarse voice. The only good part is that he loves snuggling again. I love my Caleb snuggles.
Since I can’t feed Caleb comfort food while he is sick I figured it was ok for mama to indulge. This Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese is just what the doctor ordered. The outside of the sandwich has a salty Parmesan cheese crust, while the inside is filled with mozzarella cheese and basil pesto. I used this pesto recipe, I had some in the freezer, but store-bought pesto is fine too.
A grilled cheese sandwich with cheese in the middle and on the outside is all kinds of awesome! And the basil pesto gives the sandwich loads of flavor. Make this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day or National Grilled Cheese Month. I might have to have this sandwich every day until May.
Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices ciabatta or French bread
- 1 tablespoon soft butter for brushing the bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese I use my Microplane
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread basil pesto on the inside of each slice of bread. Place the mozzarella cheese slices on top of one piece of bread. Top with the other slice of bread. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of one side of the sandwich.
- Place the sandwich, cheese side down, on the hot pan. Grill for 2 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is crusted and golden brown. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of the other side of the sandwich. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod