There are days when I want a good meal, but FAST and I mean FAST!! I am not a patient person:) Some would opt to go through a drive-thru or eat out, but remember I said good meal:) So what did we do the other night when we were starving and craving good, healthy food? We went to Closet Cooking and found a fabulous recipe to try!!
We stumbled upon Kevin’s Spinach and Mushroom Crepes and thought they would be perfect for our hunger pains. We were right!! We made some changes to the recipe…we adapted it to our tastes and really what we had in the fridge. We added in some zucchini, used mozzarella and feta cheese, added fresh basil, etc.
The whole wheat crepes were perfect to roll up around our savory filling. I need to make these crepes more often. Maybe I will do a sweet version next time. They really were killer!
I also made a spinach salad with dried cranberries, oranges, and a raspberry vinigrette to go with too! We were eating good in the neighborhood…and in minutes! Thanks Kevin for the inspiration!
Spinach and Mushroom Whole Wheat Crepes
Adapted from Closet Cooking
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
½ cup zucchini(chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 T balsamic vinegar
6 whole wheat crepes
Mozzarella and Feta cheese (use what you like)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until just starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
4. Add the mushrooms and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and saute until they are soft.
5. Add the spinach and saute until it wilts.
6. Add in the balsamic vinegar.
7. Place some of the mushroom and spinach mixture into a crepe followed by some cheese and fresh basil.
Whole Wheat Crepes
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter (melted)
1. Mix everything in a large bowl.
2. Pour 1/4 of the mixture into a lightly buttered pan heated at medium. (Make sure you use a small saute or crepe pan)
3. Tilt the pan and turn so that the mixture evenly coats the entire bottom of the pan.
4. Cook the crepe until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
5. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.