Potato Rosemary Soup
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
Easy potato soup made with fresh rosemary and feta cheese. This thick and creamy soup is perfect for a cold winter's day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 large Russet potatoes washed and cubed (we leave the peels on, but you can peel the potatoes if you wish)
- 2 15 ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk we use skim
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add potatoes,vegetable broth, and water to the pot. Bring to boil and reduce to medium heat. Let potatoes cook until tender, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove 2 cups of the potatoes. Set aside. Puree the remaining potatoes with an immersion blender or put potatoes in a blender or food processor.
In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Slowly stir mixture into large stock pot with the pureed potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer. Stir the 2 cups of potatoes back into the soup.
Stir in feta cheese and fresh rosemary. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.