Easy Chickpea Curry
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This Chickpea Curry takes less than 30 minutes to make and is made from mostly pantry Ingredients. It is a flavorful plant based meal that the entire family will love!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 28 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or more if you want it spicy)
- 30 ounces cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Rice and/or naan bread, for serving
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil or coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fresh ginger and cook for one minute.
Add the tomatoes, curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Pour in the chickpeas and coconut milk; stir until combined. Simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the spinach leaves and cook until wilted, just a few minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired. You can always add a little more curry powder if you like a stronger flavor or more cayenne pepper if you want it spicier. Serve warm with rice or naan bread.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 519mg | Potassium: 599mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1515IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 7mg