Skillet Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
Skillet Chicken Enchiladas- one-pan skillet enchiladas are the perfect easy weeknight meal. There is no filling or rolling required, just stir in the tortilla strips with the chicken, enchilada sauce, and cheese! Bake until bubbly and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, or cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz can mild diced green chiles
- 2 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce, homemade or store bought
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, diced tomatoes, sour cream, jalapeño slices, green onion
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large cast iron skillet or oven proof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Turn the heat to medium low and add the chicken. Season with chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir in the green chiles and enchilada sauce.
Add the tortilla strips and stir until they are covered in sauce. Cook on low for 2 minutes so the tortillas can soften.
Top evenly with shredded cheese and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. If you want to broil the cheese at the end, you can, just don’t walk away. It will brown quickly. Remove from the oven and let the enchiladas sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Top with desired toppings and serve warm.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 1207mg | Potassium: 140mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1253IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 302mg | Iron: 2mg