Slow Cooker Beef Chili
This easy slow cooker chili is the perfect meal for a cold day! Serve with cornbread and your favorite toppings!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can small red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder we use 3
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup optional
- 1/4 cup sliced tamed jalapeño peppers optional
- Chili toppings for serving: shredded cheese sour cream, sliced green onions, jalapeño slices, cilantro, avocado, etc.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ground beef, and garlic; cook, using a wooden spoon to crumble the meat as it cooks, until no trace of pink remains, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain the grease liquid from the pan and discard.
Place the cooked beef, onion and garlic into a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add the red pepper, beans, fire roasted tomatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup, if using.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Remove the lid and stir in the tamed jalapeño slices, if using. Taste and season with additional salt and seasonings, if necessary.
Ladle the chili into bowls and serve with desired toppings.
Calories: 163kcal, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 56mg, Sodium: 444mg, Potassium: 468mg, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 550IU, Vitamin C: 20.1mg, Calcium: 34mg, Iron: 3.1mg