Asparagus Chickpea Quinoa Salad
This simple quinoa salad with asparagus, chickpeas, and feta can be served as a main dish or side dish. It is a springtime favorite!
For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch asparagus about 15 spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained (15 oz) can
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a small bowl or medium jar, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, and garlic. Whisk to combine or shake with the jar lid on tight. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
Add water, quinoa, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
While the quinoa is cooking, cook the asparagus. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the asparagus and fresh lemon juice. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, asparagus, chickpeas, green onion, and feta cheese. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve.
Note-if you need the salad to be vegan, you can omit the feta cheese.
Calories: 260kcal, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 7mg, Sodium: 426mg, Potassium: 245mg, Fiber: 4g, Vitamin A: 115IU, Vitamin C: 6.4mg, Calcium: 76mg, Iron: 2.1mg