Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Creamy tomato soup with cheese tortellini! You will think this soup is made with heavy cream, but the secret is Greek yogurt! We love this simple soup!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 18 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, for garnish, optional
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves and crushed red pepper flakes.
Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in fresh basil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Use a hand immersion blender to blend the soup (or carefully transfer soup to a blender to blend and return to the pot). Stir in the Greek yogurt until well combined. Stir in the cheese tortellini and cook on medium-low until tortellini is cooked, about 7-8 minutes. Serve warm.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 937mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 189mg | Iron: 4mg