Slow Cooker Black Bean Tortilla Soup
This easy crockpot soup is great for lunch or dinner. Load your soup bowl with all of your favorite toppings!
For the Tortilla Soup:
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro diced avocado, green onion, shredded cheese, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, and tortilla strips
For the Baked Tortilla Strips:
- 8 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cook for 3 hours on high heat or 6 hours on low heat.
Meanwhile, make the baked tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush both sides of the corn tortillas gently with vegetable oil. Stack the tortillas on top of each other and cut into thin strips. Spread the strips in a single layer on baking sheets and season with salt. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until tortilla strips are crispy. Remove from oven and let cool.
Serve the soup warm with baked tortilla strips and desired toppings.
Note-This soup will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 4 days or freeze it for up to 2 months in a freezer container.