Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
This Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich is a great quick and easy lunch option that is good for you too! The salad also makes a great dip!
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread of your choice I use whole wheat bread
- Fresh spinach leaves or other sandwich toppings: lettuce tomato slices, sprouts, etc.
Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel and remove the outer skins. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.
In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Spread salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves.
Note: This salad also makes a great dip. Serve with cut up veggies, crackers, or pita chips. Also, this salad is best eaten the day it is made because it will turn brown due to the avocado.