Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
This easy pasta dish is full of flavor thanks to the roasted red pepper tomato sauce. We used whole wheat penne pasta, but any pasta will work. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and enjoy!
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup packed fresh basil coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked pasta we used Whole Wheat Penne
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Freshly chopped basil for serving (optional)
1. Roast red peppers over gas flame, under the broiler, or on the grill. Roast for about 10 minutes, or until peppers are completely black. Place peppers in a paper bag to allow to sweat. Peel the charred skins from the peppers and remove the seeds. Chop the peppers and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic, red peppers, and diced tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Add freshly chopped basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Purée the sauce using an immersion blender or transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth with some texture remaining. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
4. In a large bowl, combine pasta and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.