1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift the flour in a large bowl. Repeat two more times. It is important to sift the flour three times total.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the egg whites, lime zest, and juice. Using the whisk attachment, whisk on medium speed. Gradually add one cup of the powdered sugar. Keep the mixer running. Add one tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until it is gone. Beat until egg whites reach soft peaks, about 10 minutes.
4. Gradually add sifted flour to the mixing bowl through a sieve. Do this in three parts. Gently fold the mixture in between each addition. When all the flour is added, gently fold one final time.
5. Pour angel food cake batter into a 10 inch angel food cake pan. Pound the cake pan on the counter to even out the batter and get rid of any bubbles. Do not spray the pan.
6. Bake the cake for 40 minutes or until light golden brown. The cake will spring back when touched. To cool, turn the cake upside down on a bottle or cooling rack. Cool completely. Remove from pan and slice.
Note-you do need an angel food cake pan
for this cake.