Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Stovetop Mac and Cheese-Easy to make from scratch and and so much better than boxed! You only need ONE pot and it takes 20 minutes to make! Everyone's favorite comfort food!
- 12 oz large elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 whole cups milk, at room temperature
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For serving: extra shredded cheese and crushed saltine crackers, optional
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook it just until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain the pasta set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Turn the heat to low and whisk in the flour and ground mustard to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Turn the heat to medium and whisk until the sauce starts to thicken, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the shredded cheese until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
Add the drained pasta and stir until well coated with the cheese sauce. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Garnish with a little shredded cheese and crushed saltine crackers, if desired. Serve immediately.
Calories: 524kcal, Carbohydrates: 47g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 27g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Cholesterol: 79mg, Sodium: 356mg, Potassium: 182mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 799IU, Calcium: 422mg, Iron: 1mg