Homemade Enchilada Sauce
The best enchilada sauce and it’s incredibly easy to make, plus, it freezes beautifully! You will never buy store bought enchilada sauce again!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons flour (can use gluten-free flour or cornstarch)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for one minute. Add all the spices and garlic; stir for about a minute. Whisk in the tomato paste, then slowly pour in the vegetable broth, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth.
Let the sauce simmer over medium low heat for 10-12 minutes or until slightly thickened. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary.
Calories: 75kcal, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Sodium: 478mg, Potassium: 123mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 1398IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 17mg, Iron: 1mg