Curry Lentil Soup
Curry Lentil Soup- this easy, one pot, curry lentil soup is creamy, comforting, nourishing, and most importantly DELICIOUS! The perfect meal for a cold day or any day!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2- inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed, drained, and picked over
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 13.5- ounce can coconut milk, shaken well
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: extra cilantro, drizzle of coconut milk, lime wedges
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and red bell pepper and cook until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, ginger, curry powder, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute and stir in the red lentils.
Pour in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and coconut milk. Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the lentils are soft, but not mushy. Taste the soup and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, a drizzle of coconut milk, and a squeeze of lime juice, if desired. Serve immediately.
Leftover soup will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can freeze the soup for up to 3 months.
Recipe adapted from Ottolenghi
Calories: 338kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 860mg | Potassium: 534mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4395IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 4mg