Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This hearty chili is made with beans, vegetables, and quinoa. Meat lovers and vegetarians will love this chili!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Keyword: chili, vegetarian chili
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 2 (15 ounce cans) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce can) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (15 ounce cans) diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder depending on your taste (we used 3)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: green onions avocado slices, cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt, chips, crackers, etc.
In a medium sauce pan, combine the quinoa and water. Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, carrot, celery, peppers, and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir in the cooked quinoa. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Simmer chili on low for about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Note-garnish the chili with green onions, avocado slices, cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt, chips, crackers, if desired. This chili freezes well.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 1075mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3015IU | Vitamin C: 59.5mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 5.3mg