Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This beautiful and colorful kale salad is loaded with sweet potatoes, black beans, avocado, jicama, pepitas, cotija cheese, red cabbage, and cilantro. It is great served as a main dish or side dish.
For the kale salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch kale I use Lacinato kale
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped jicama sticks
- 1/3 cup pepitas pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado seed removed and chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled cotija cheese or crumbled queso fresco
For the cilantro vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potato chunks on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the salad. Wash the chop the kale, removing the tough ribs. Place kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Massage the kale with your hands, rubbing in the salt, for about 2 minutes. This will help break down the kale.
When the sweet potatoes are at room temperature, add them to the kale. Add the black beans, cabbage, jicama, pepitas, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
To make the cilantro lime vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic in a small bowl or jar. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.