Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad-this beautiful and colorful kale salad is loaded with sweet potatoes, black beans, avocado, jicama, pepitas, cotija cheese, red cabbage, and cilantro. It is great served as a main dish or side dish.
Happy Halloween! Do you have any fun plans for today? We are going to Caleb’s Halloween party at preschool and then we will be trick or treating and passing out candy tonight. I know there is going to be a big sugar rush happening later on so I am making my favorite Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad for dinner. I hope this healthy salad will help balance out all of the candy consumption.
I make this salad all year long, but I especially love it during the fall months. It has a fantastic fall feel and the colors are perfect for Halloween. The pops of orange, black, and purple are so festive.
For the base of the salad, I use chopped kale and then I go crazy! I add roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, jicama, red cabbage, avocado, pepitas, cilantro, and cotija cheese. I also drizzle a simple cilantro lime vinaigrette over the salad before serving.
This salad is full of flavor. Every bite is a party! I love the fun colors, different textures, and of course the deliciousness! I could eat this salad every day and I think I am going to need to this week because I know I can’t stay out of the Halloween candy. My sweet tooth always wins!
Make this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad to balance out the Halloween sweets! This kale salad would also be a great side dish for Thanksgiving. It is going to make an appearance at our holiday meal this year.
Have fun tonight and be safe! Happy Halloween!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Kale Salad
For the kale salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch kale I use Lacinato kale
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup finely chopped red cabbage
- ⅓ cup chopped jicama sticks
- ⅓ cup pepitas pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado seed removed and chopped
- ⅓ cup crumbled cotija cheese or crumbled queso fresco
For the cilantro vinaigrette:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place sweet potato chunks on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste. Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the salad. Wash the chop the kale, removing the tough ribs. Place kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Massage the kale with your hands, rubbing in the salt, for about 2 minutes. This will help break down the kale.
- When the sweet potatoes are at room temperature, add them to the kale. Add the black beans, cabbage, jicama, pepitas, cilantro, and cotija cheese.
- To make the cilantro lime vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic in a small bowl or jar. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod