Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This healthy fall soup is perfect for a chilly day and it freezes well too!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cans 14 1/2 oz each reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans 15 oz each diced tomatoes
- 1 can 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups chopped kale ribs and stems removed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sweet potato, butternut squash, and bay leaves. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Stir in the quinoa and season with fresh rosemary and thyme. Cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is soft. Stir in the kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve warm.
Note-this soup freezes well. To freeze, cool completely and pour into a freezer container. When ready to eat, defrost and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.