Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup-this healthy, one-pot soup is the perfect meal for a chilly day!
Josh went to game four of the World Series on Saturday in San Francisco. I will admit, I was crazy jealous because San Francisco is my favorite city, but Josh needed a guy’s trip! He didn’t need me cramping his style:)
Josh had a great time and picked a great game to go to (Go Giants), but I think I had an even better time at home with the boys. We watched movies…I introduced Caleb to Beethoven, not the musician, but the movie about the dog:) We also went on walks, played with toys, snuggled, and Caleb helped me make soup for dinner. We made a big pot of Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup, one of our favorites! Soup and snuggles, my kind of weekend!
You might be wondering if Caleb actually ate the soup for dinner and the answer is YES! Sometimes it is a struggle to get Caleb to eat his vegetables, but not when we make this soup. He loves it! He especially loves it when he can help make it. He was my sous chef on Saturday and did a great job!
The soup is loaded with veggies: butternut squash, sweet potatoes, kale, carrots, celery, and tomatoes. All of the veggies combined make a beautiful and healthy soup!
I add quinoa and chickpeas to add protein and heartiness to the soup! I also stir in fresh thyme and rosemary for flavor!
This easy one-pot soup is the perfect fall meal! It is simple to make and will warm you up on a chilly day! I love this recipe because it makes a big pot of soup which means leftovers! Leftovers have been saving my life lately! You can also put some away in the freezer for a rainy day! It is also a great recipe for entertaining because it is easy, pretty, gluten free, vegan, and everyone loves it!
When Josh got home from San Francisco, he was starving, so I gave him a bowl of Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup! He got the best of both worlds, the game and the soup:)
Add Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup to your dinner menu this week! It would make a great Halloween dinner. Start the night with a healthy dinner to balance out all of the candy:)
If you like this Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup, you might also like:
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup
- Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
Fall Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 35 minutes
- Total Time
- 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cans 14 1/2 oz each reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans 15 oz each diced tomatoes
- 1 can 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 cups chopped kale ribs and stems removed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sweet potato, butternut squash, and bay leaves. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Stir in the quinoa and season with fresh rosemary and thyme. Cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is soft. Stir in the kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve warm.
- Note-this soup freezes well. To freeze, cool completely and pour into a freezer container. When ready to eat, defrost and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.