1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Set aside.
3. With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time. Next, add in vanilla extract. Mix until blended.
4. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and mix until flour disappears. Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake cookies for 10 minutes, or until the cookies are set around the edges, but still soft in the center. Don't over bake. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.
6. Turn one cookie over and place a large scoop of pumpkin ice cream on the bottom of the cookie. Place another cookie (right-side-up) on top of the ice cream and squeeze them together a bit to push the ice cream to the edges. Eat immediately or wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer bag to eat later. Continue making ice cream sandwiches with the rest of the cookies and ice cream.
Note-this recipe makes about 30 chocolate cookies, so about 15 ice cream sandwiches. You can half the cookie recipe if you don't need that many. Or you can just eat the chocolate cookies or put them in the freezer!