1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
2. In a large glass measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, canola oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
3. Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Whisk until combined. Don't over mix. Gently fold in the diced apples.
4. Heat a griddle pan or non stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour about 1/4 of a cup of pancake batter onto the hot griddle pan, spacing out the pancakes a few inches from each other. When the pancakes start to bubble up, flip and cook until pancakes are lightly browned.
5. While the pancakes are cooking, make the cinnamon syrup. Stir together dry ingredients in a small saucepan. Then add water and vanilla extract. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring often. Continue boiling and stir until mixture thickens to syrup consistency. About 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand a few minutes before serving.
6. Serve the whole wheat apple cinnamon pancakes with cinnamon syrup. Enjoy!