Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup are the only reason I wanted to get out of bed on Sunday morning. It was chilly and getting out from under the covers didn’t sound like fun…at all. But when Josh suggested pancakes for breakfast, I threw off the covers, pulled on a sweatshirt, and raced Josh to the kitchen to start cooking. Josh offered to make the pancakes for me so I could stay in bed, but I didn’t want to miss out on all of the kitchen fun! 🙂 I love making and eating pancakes, especially these Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes.
Josh started measuring out the dry ingredients while I worked on the liquid ingredients. We combined everything in a large bowl to make the pancake batter. I love that these pancakes are made with Gold Medal whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, buttermilk, and vanilla. Hello fall!
I also chopped up some apples to throw into the pancake batter. The apples are the perfect addition to these fall pancakes. I used Granny Smith and Gala apples because that is what we had on hand. Feel free to chop up any old apple you want! Honeycrisp apples are so good in these pancakes because they are the best in general! I just love them. Too bad I ate all of our Honeycrisp apples before we made pancakes. Oops!
While Josh poured the pancake batter on our hot griddle pan and flipped pancakes, I made the cinnamon syrup. The cinnamon syrup is really easy to make and seals the deal on these pancakes, so don’t skip it!
Josh brought a big stack of whole wheat cinnamon Pancakes to the table and I carried over the cinnamon syrup and butter. You don’t need the butter, but go ahead and treat yourself. They are whole wheat pancakes after all:) I also sprinkled a few of the leftover chopped apples on top of the pancakes for fun. We put Caleb in his high chair, turned on some soothing Sunday tunes, and enjoyed our special breakfast.
The pancakes are hearty with a hint of sweet cinnamon and tart juicy apple chunks. The cinnamon syrup really brings out the cinnamon flavor and is the perfect finishing touch to these delectable pancakes.
Start your morning with a stack of Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup. I promise they are worth getting out of bed for-even on a chilly fall morning!
Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup
For the Pancakes:
- 1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Set aside.
- 2. In a large glass measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, canola oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
- 3. Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Whisk until combined. Don't over mix. Gently fold in the diced apples.
- 4. Heat a griddle pan or non stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ of a cup of pancake batter onto the hot griddle pan, spacing out the pancakes a few inches from each other. When the pancakes start to bubble up, flip and cook until pancakes are lightly browned.
- 5. While the pancakes are cooking, make the cinnamon syrup. Stir together dry ingredients in a small saucepan. Then add water and vanilla extract. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring often. Continue boiling and stir until mixture thickens to syrup consistency. About 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand a few minutes before serving.
- 6. Serve the whole wheat apple cinnamon pancakes with cinnamon syrup. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes, you might also like:
- Whole Wheat Pancakes from Skinnytaste
- Apple Pancakes from Big Girls Small Kitchen
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Pancakes from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Caramel Apple Pancakes from Buns In My Oven
This post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, but our opinions are our own. We love Gold Medal Flour. Check out our Farm to Table Event in Kansas City with Gold Medal Flour.