Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad Sandwich
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This easy vegetarian smashed chickpea sandwich has all of the flavors of traditional Greek Salad, but in salad sandwich form.
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas or garbanzo beans (I used Bush's Beans)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt I used Chobani
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced kalamata olives pits removed
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat bread slices for sandwich
- Spinach leaves for sandwich
- Grape tomatoes or tomato slices for sandwich
1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel and remove the outer skins. They come off easily by rolling them around on the paper towel. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.
2. In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas, Greek yogurt, and feta cheese together. Add in the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, red onion, kalamata olives, cucumber, and oregano. Mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Spread chickpea salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves and tomatoes. The filling will make 3-4 sandwiches, depending on how thick you layer it on and how big your bread is. Enjoy!
Note: You can also eat this salad with pita chips or crackers. It is also good inside of a pita pocket. Serve with gluten-free bread or crackers, if you are eating gluten-free.