One of my all-time favorite sandwiches is my Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich. If you haven’t tried it, please add it to your “to do” list right now. It is such a great sandwich.
I wanted to make it yesterday for lunch, but we didn’t have any avocados so I decided to switch things up a bit. I created a new smashed chickpea sandwich, a Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad Sandwich. It has all of the flavors of the traditional Greek salad and boy oh boy is it good!
I am not a mayo fan, so I usually shy away from the traditional salad sandwiches. These smashed chickpea sandwiches are all kinds of awesome though and there is no mayo involved! For this Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad Sandwich, I smashed chickpeas with Greek yogurt, feta cheese, a splash of lemon juice and red wine vinegar. I added in kalamata olives, red onion, oregano, and cucumbers for crunch.
I placed fresh spinach leaves on a slice of whole wheat bread and spread the Chickpea Greek Salad on top. I finished the sandwich with grape tomatoes and another slice of whole wheat bread. I cut the sandwich in half, thinking that I would only eat half for lunch, but it was so good I devoured the entire sammy! I loved all of the flavors and textures of this sandwich. It is a new favorite!
I have some of the Chickpea Greek Salad filing leftover and I think I will eat it with pita chips today. It would also be good stuffed into a pita pocket. I might have to make this Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad Sandwich every day! I love it and I think you will too!
Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad Sandwich
This easy vegetarian smashed chickpea sandwich has all of the flavors of traditional Greek Salad, but in salad sandwich form.
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 10 minutes
- 1 16 oz can chickpeas or garbanzo beans (I used Bush's Beans)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt I used Chobani
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced kalamata olives pits removed
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat bread slices for sandwich
- Spinach leaves for sandwich
- Grape tomatoes or tomato slices for sandwich
1. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel and remove the outer skins. They come off easily by rolling them around on the paper towel. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.
2. In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas, Greek yogurt, and feta cheese together. Add in the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, red onion, kalamata olives, cucumber, and oregano. Mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Spread chickpea salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves and tomatoes. The filling will make 3-4 sandwiches, depending on how thick you layer it on and how big your bread is. Enjoy!
Note: You can also eat this salad with pita chips or crackers. It is also good inside of a pita pocket. Serve with gluten-free bread or crackers, if you are eating gluten-free.
If you like this Smashed Chickpea Greek Salad Sandwich, you might also like: