Spicy Pepperoni Pizza with Caramelized Onions
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This spicy pepperoni pizza is always a hit on pizza night!
Servings: 2 large pizzas
- 1 package of yeast
- 1 cup luke warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cup white flour
- 1 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pizza Toppings:
- TABASCO® Original Red
- Caramelized Onions
- Mozzarella cheese
- Corn meal-for dusting the pizza peel
- To make the dough:
- 1. Mix yeast in 1 cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- 2. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a stand mixer and create a volcano shape with a hole in the middle. Pour all of the wet ingredients into the center and mix until well incorporated. You may have to add a little more water depending on the climate you are in. Add a teaspoon at a time until it is slighty tacky.
- 3. After well incorporated use the mixer's dough hook and knead for 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove dough from mixer bowl and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise for about an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- To make the sauce:
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1. While the pizza dough is rising make the sauce. In a medium pan add the olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic until tender. Add in the crushed red pepper and fennel. Saute for one minute.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well. Season with pinch of sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, and fresh basil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- To make the caramelized onions:
- 2 red onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- After you make the sauce caramelize the onions. Slice onions into 1/4-inch wide rings.
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet.
- Add onions and a small amount of sugar optional and slowly cook over medium heat.
- Cook until onions are caramel colored stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes.
To make the pizza:
1. Preheat an oven to 500 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven to heat up.
2. After the pizza has risen. Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Place dough balls on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the pizza dough into two circles, about 1/4 inch thick. Place dough on a pizza peel or baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with corn meal. Add the pizza sauce, a few dashes of Tobasco Original Red sauce, pepperoni slices, caramelized onions, and mozzarella cheese.
2. Gently slide pizza into the oven onto the pizza stone. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove pizza from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
*Note-if you don't have a pizza stone, you can place the pizza on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack.