Pizza is good any day, but don’t you think it tastes even better on game day? This Spicy Pepperoni Pizza with Caramelized Onions is the perfect pizza recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.
Josh loves spicy foods. I don’t think he has ever said anything is too hot. His favorite pizza topping is spicy pepperoni. This time he decided to kick the pizza up another notch by adding TABASCO® Original Red hot sauce. He dribbled Tobasco’s hot sauce over the pizza for additional heat. He also added caramelized onions for a hint of sweetness. This pizza is full of flavor and hot, hot, hot! Make sure you have a frosty beverage near by to cool down your taste buds:) Josh managed to eat four pieces without any trouble though:)
Enjoy a slice of spicy pepperoni pizza with caramelized onions while you watch the Super Bowl this weekend. It is the perfect game day food!
Spicy Pepperoni Pizza with Caramelized Onions
- 1 package of yeast
- 1 cup luke warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cup white flour
- 1 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pizza Toppings:
- TABASCO® Original Red
- Caramelized Onions
- Mozzarella cheese
- Corn meal-for dusting the pizza peel
- To make the dough:
- 1. Mix yeast in 1 cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- 2. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a stand mixer and create a volcano shape with a hole in the middle. Pour all of the wet ingredients into the center and mix until well incorporated. You may have to add a little more water depending on the climate you are in. Add a teaspoon at a time until it is slighty tacky.
- 3. After well incorporated use the mixer's dough hook and knead for 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove dough from mixer bowl and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise for about an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- To make the sauce:
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1. While the pizza dough is rising make the sauce. In a medium pan add the olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic until tender. Add in the crushed red pepper and fennel. Saute for one minute.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well. Season with pinch of sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, and fresh basil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- To make the caramelized onions:
- 2 red onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- After you make the sauce caramelize the onions. Slice onions into 1/4-inch wide rings.
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet.
- Add onions and a small amount of sugar optional and slowly cook over medium heat.
- Cook until onions are caramel colored stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes.
- To make the pizza:
- 1. Preheat an oven to 500 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven to heat up.
- 2. After the pizza has risen. Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Place dough balls on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the pizza dough into two circles, about ¼ inch thick. Place dough on a pizza peel or baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with corn meal. Add the pizza sauce, a few dashes of Tobasco Original Red sauce, pepperoni slices, caramelized onions, and mozzarella cheese.
- 2. Gently slide pizza into the oven onto the pizza stone. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove pizza from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
- *Note-if you don't have a pizza stone, you can place the pizza on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
What a delicious looking pizza! I’ve also love adding fried onions to mine…
This pizza looks so good! I love onions, and I like that it has some kick to it!! Yummy!
This looks delicious! My husband would LOVE this!!
Josh could eat this pizza every day, it’s his favorite!
Pizza is definitely my desert island food. I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. Love this!
Fantastic picture! I could go for a piece. What time is dinner?
Come over anytime! We will save you a piece:)
Wow, I don’t even know what to say. This looks SO good!
Nothing quite like homemade pizza, this one looks perfect!
Oh. my. YUM! I am with Josh — spicy is the best 🙂
yum! I love caramelized onions on anything!
Oh heavens. The only thing that could make pizza better is caramelized onions!!
Pizza. With caramelized onions. Be still my heart. It should be a law!
You are right – it’s perfect for Super Bowl… or any other day for that matter. I am loving the onions.
We love making pizzas on Friday nights! My husband will love this!
I am so hungry- I could eat that whole pizza right now!
I could eat two like this now! Looks the best pepperoni pizza ever!
Caramelized onions are my favorite pizza veggie!
It looks delish! And makes me have a huge craving for pizza right now 🙂
This might be the best looking pizza I’ve ever seen on a food blog! Seriously, looks incredible, Maria. Oh, and cornmeal is a MUST for my pizza crust 🙂
Looks wonderful! Love that added Tabasco spice!
I love caramelized onions- this pizza looks incredible!
This pizza looks incredible!
Pepperoni and onions are two of my favorite pizza toppings – love this!
Love the caramelized onion addition to the traditional pepperoni. And the Tabasco sauce? Yum!
This pizza looks so good right now. I just finished a 21-day cleanse and I’ve missed pizza. This would be perfect for this weekends Superbowl too. Looks great Maria!
Have a great Superbowl weekend!
I love the addition of the caramelized onions. Looks wonderful!
My husband loves spicy foods as well and would go crazy for this pizza, game day or not, I am sure! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
Great flavor pairing! I never would have thought to do this, but now that I see it, I want to try it! 🙂
Matt would love this but I’d be dying from the heat!
There is just something about pepperoni pizza that I can’t resist. The caramelized onions sound like an incredible pairing.
Your pizza looks lovely! I made a few last night to clean out the fridge. Some interesting combos can arise!
That’s a great-looking pizza! I have never thought to put tobasco sauce on pizza… It’s a great idea!
What a delicious looking pizza. Love the extra Tobasco “bite”!
caramelized onions are magical. great addition to your pizza. 🙂
They sure are magical. Such a great pizza topping!
I love anything with caramelized onions! 🙂
Complements to Josh! I haven’t had homemade pizza forever, and this looks amazing.
This looks so good! Love the fennel in the sauce. I never get tired of pizza. As unoriginal as it may be, it is likely my favorite food.
Is regular semolina the same as semolina flour as we just call it semolina here in Ireland and sometimes use it as a base on the tin before you bake the pizza to create crunch and also is is packet the 7 packet, what weight is it
You state to put the pepperoni on top of the tomato sauce then the cheese but your photo shows it the other way around