Pizza is good any day, but don’t you think it tastes even better on game day? This Spicy Pepperoni Pizza with Caramelized Onions is the perfect pizza recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.
Josh loves spicy foods. I don’t think he has ever said anything is too hot. His favorite pizza topping is spicy pepperoni. This time he decided to kick the pizza up another notch by adding TABASCO® Original Red hot sauce. He dribbled Tobasco’s hot sauce over the pizza for additional heat. He also added caramelized onions for a hint of sweetness. This pizza is full of flavor and hot, hot, hot! Make sure you have a frosty beverage near by to cool down your taste buds:) Josh managed to eat four pieces without any trouble though:)
Enjoy a slice of spicy pepperoni pizza with caramelized onions while you watch the Super Bowl this weekend. It is the perfect game day food!
Spicy Pepperoni Pizza with Caramelized Onions
This spicy pepperoni pizza is always a hit on pizza night!
- 2 large pizzas
- 1 package of yeast
- 1 cup luke warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cup white flour
- 1 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pizza Toppings:
- TABASCO® Original Red
- Caramelized Onions
- Mozzarella cheese
- Corn meal-for dusting the pizza peel
- To make the dough:
- 1. Mix yeast in 1 cup of warm water with a pinch of sugar and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- 2. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a stand mixer and create a volcano shape with a hole in the middle. Pour all of the wet ingredients into the center and mix until well incorporated. You may have to add a little more water depending on the climate you are in. Add a teaspoon at a time until it is slighty tacky.
- 3. After well incorporated use the mixer's dough hook and knead for 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove dough from mixer bowl and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise for about an hour or until the dough doubles in size.
- To make the sauce:
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1. While the pizza dough is rising make the sauce. In a medium pan add the olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic until tender. Add in the crushed red pepper and fennel. Saute for one minute.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir well. Season with pinch of sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, and fresh basil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- To make the caramelized onions:
- 2 red onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- After you make the sauce caramelize the onions. Slice onions into 1/4-inch wide rings.
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet.
- Add onions and a small amount of sugar optional and slowly cook over medium heat.
- Cook until onions are caramel colored stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes.
To make the pizza:
1. Preheat an oven to 500 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven to heat up.
2. After the pizza has risen. Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Place dough balls on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the pizza dough into two circles, about 1/4 inch thick. Place dough on a pizza peel or baking sheet that has been lightly dusted with corn meal. Add the pizza sauce, a few dashes of Tobasco Original Red sauce, pepperoni slices, caramelized onions, and mozzarella cheese.
2. Gently slide pizza into the oven onto the pizza stone. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove pizza from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
*Note-if you don't have a pizza stone, you can place the pizza on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack.