Easy Vegetarian Chili
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This vegetarian chili is easy to make and will warm you up on a cold day! It freezes well too, so double the batch and save some for later!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno diced, seeds removed
- 3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz. cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until light brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add carrot, celery, peppers, and jalapeno. Cook for five minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
2. Stir in diced tomatoes, beans, and water. Season chili with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir and let chili simmer for 30 minutes. Stir chili frequently so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Serve hot.
*Note-serve with chips or cornbread, if desired. This chili also freezes beautifully.