Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
This simple Taco Salad is a classic and always a dinner favorite. Fresh lettuce is topped with perfectly seasoned ground beef, cheese, tomatoes, avocado, crunchy tortilla chips, and MORE! Make a big beautiful taco salad or let everyone assemble their own!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Course: Main Course
For the taco meat:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup water
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces tortilla chips, slightly broken
Optional toppings for serving:
To make the taco meat: In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef for about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Pour in the water and let simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Turn off heat and set aside.
To assemble the salad: In a large serving bowl or on a serving platter, add the lettuce, taco meat, beans, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, onion, and chips. Top with desired toppings and drizzle with creamy cilantro lime dressing, if using.
You can also build the salad on individual plates. Set out all of the fixings and let everyone make their own taco salads!
You can use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
If you want to make the salad vegetarian, leave off the meat.
If you need the salad to be vegan, don't use cheese.
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 704mg | Potassium: 917mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1587IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 237mg | Iron: 5mg