Homemade restaurant style salsa that will MAKE you eat an entire bag of chips. This salsa recipe makes smooth, fresh salsa with the perfect amount of cilantro and lime and just the right amount of kick.
Easy Blender Salsa
We are huge chips and salsa fans and fresh homemade salsa is the BEST! I promise it is MUCH better than store bought and don’t worry, it’s super easy to make! You only need a few ingredients and 10 minutes to make this Restaurant Style Salsa. You will be chipping and dipping in no time!
I love this salsa because it is made in the blender (a food processor works too). You add all of the ingredients and blend it up! The salsa will remind you of your favorite restaurant salsa, but better! Homemade is always best, especially when it’s so easy!
How to Make Restaurant Style Salsa
- For this salsa recipe, you need canned whole tomatoes AND canned Rotel tomatoes with green chiles. The green chiles add great flavor without being spicy. I love this salsa recipe because it uses canned tomatoes, making it a good salsa to make all-year round!
- Add a pinch of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. If you are avoiding added sugars, you can leave it out and it will still be good.
- I use a whole jalapeño, but remove the seeds. Most of the heat comes from the seeds. If you want a super mild salsa, you can use half of a jalapeño or leave it completely out.
- Fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice really brighten up the salsa!
- In a blender or food processor, add tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, sugar (if using), cumin, salt and lime.
- Pulse until desired consistency is reached. If you want a chunky salsa, just pulse it a few times. If you want a smooth salsa, let the blender run for about 30 seconds.
- Taste and season with salt, if necessary.
- You can serve right away or refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors come to life.
How to Store
I love this salsa because you can store it in a jar or container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Ours usually doesn’t last that long though:)
You can freeze the salsa, but I think fresh is best! When you freeze it, it will get a little watery. Drain off excess water and then enjoy. You can freeze it for up to one month.
We love starting any Mexican meal with chips and salsa. We also like topping any and all Mexican food with this easy blender salsa. It is the perfect addition to any Mexican recipe.
We love adding this salsa to fajitas, tacos, quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas, taco salads, taquitos, and MORE! This salsa spices up any meal!
This recipe makes a bit batch of salsa so be prepared to share! It is the perfect salsa to serve at parties.
More Salsa Recipes
Restaurant Style Salsa
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes with juice (canned)
- 20 ounces Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 whole jalapeño, quartered and sliced thin, seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, more to taste
- 1/2 whole lime, juiced
- In a large food processor or blender, combine whole tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Refrigerate salsa and serve with tortilla chips.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Love it! So easy, I just made it with fresh tomatoes….My only problem is that its a little too watery. I guess I should drain the Rotel before adding it….Anyone else have the problem of the salsa separating from the water in the refrigerator? I would love for it to be a little less runny.
I have not made this recipe yet, but I plan to make it as a salsa to pour over chips “chilaquiles”. You alway simmer the sauce to reduce the water content.
Just made this today. Wow! It does make a lot, but having tasted it I don’t think that will be a problem. About to take a jar of it round to my son and his family and I know they will love it.
So glad you loved it! It never lasts long at our house:)
Thank you for sharing this recipe -I think sometimes we will all make the same things based on our own recipe but then someone shares their own version and it can be a nice change—like this one. Keep them coming!
About how many cups does the receipe produce?
Hi. What would be a serving size (ie. 1T, etc)?
I had my doubts, but this really does taste exactly like delicious restaurant salsa. I like my salsa pretty finely ground (no big chunks of onion or pepper) and it came out just how I wanted it. I did end up adding an extra 1/2t of salt and a bit of extra lime juice. I would have added another jalapeño if I had one, as it is quite mild.
All those years I’d made failed salsa, and I’d never thought to try canned tomato in combination with fresh onion, cilantro, garlic and pepper. Somehow, in this version it all ends up tasting fresh but without being watery like a pico de gallo can be. Thanks for a great recipe!!
So easy and even better than many restaurant salsas! Our canned tomatoes had no added salt, which prompted me to add about 1/2 teaspoon more salt which was just right. I was hesitant to use an entire jalapeño but I’m glad I did. It’s just the right amount of spice. I like my salsa with just enough spice to tingle, but not enough to burn. The chips make a big difference too. Home-fried tortilla chips with homemade salsa….YUM!
I made this without the jalapeño and sugar and added onion powder to replace the fresh onion. I also added about a 1/4 teaspoon of oregano and a little more salt. Amazing!
Hi! Do you remember how much onion powder you used? Thank you!
Absolutely wonderful and so easy . I will never buy store bought salsa again!
We love this salsa and make it with fresh tomatoes in the summer. We could just drink it—even the kids who don’t love tomatoes or onions.
I have made this recipe many times and love it. However cardiologist put me on a low/no sodium diet and I Made it today with no salt tomatoes and no extra salt. It’s still very good and I can eat it with no salt Tostitos chips!
BEST HOMEMADE SALSA I’VE HAD! Super easy and so good!
So glad you love it. I make it every week.
Just made this for the first time and it was absolutely perfect, I will for adding this to my regular recipe rotation.
We make it every week!
I have used this recipe for about 5 years. I love it! I also add a garlic wedge and half a large onion. I like it chunky.
See More Comments