Morning Glory Muffins
Say good morning with these delicious and nutritious whole wheat muffins packed with pineapple, carrots, coconut, and raisins.
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 3 large carrots, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of the muffins, optional (I added this)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 standard muffin tin cups with paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the oil, eggs, and pineapple. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Using a spatula, stir in the carrots, raisins and coconut. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each three-quarters full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if using.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note-the muffins will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. You can also freeze them for up to 1 month.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 208mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1745IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 0.9mg