Buttermilk Oven "Fried" Chicken
This lighter version of fried chicken tastes just like the real deal! You won't miss the deep fryer, we promise!
For the Chicken:
- 8 chicken drumsticks about 3 1/2 ounces each, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cooking spray
For the Coating:
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
For the chicken: In a medium bowl, season the chicken with the salt, paprika, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour the buttermilk and lemon juice over the chicken and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a rack on a baking sheet and lightly spray with oil.
For the coating: In a shallow bowl, combine the panko, cornflake crumbs, Parmesan, salt, parsley, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder.
Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the crumb mixture. Put the chicken pieces onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray.
Bake chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 40-45 minutes.
Calories: 440kcal, Carbohydrates: 36g, Protein: 33g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 148mg, Sodium: 1713mg, Potassium: 505mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g, Vitamin A: 1250IU, Vitamin C: 6.2mg, Calcium: 130mg, Iron: 10.3mg