Buttermilk Oven “Fried” Chicken – this baked fried chicken is a lighter version of fried chicken that tastes just like the real deal! Oven fried chicken gets the same crispy texture from “frying” in the oven!
Skinnytaste “Oven” Fried Chicken
Today we are celebrating our good friend Gina’s new cookbook, The Skinnytaste Cookbook! We love Gina and are so excited about her first cookbook! I have been a big fan of her blog for years and I am so glad her recipes are now in a book!
The Skinnytaste Cookbook features recipes that are light on calories, but big on flavor. Gina knows how to make healthy taste amazing! I couldn’t decide what recipe to make for our post because I wanted to make them all so I let Josh pick. He was flipping through the book and when he saw the Buttermilk “Oven” Fried Chicken recipe he exclaimed, “Winner, winner, chicken dinner!” He said we HAD to make this oven fried chicken. Caleb ran over to see what we were talking about said he wanted chicken for dinner too! The decision was made:)
Baked Fried Chicken is Healthy Fried Chicken
One of Josh’s favorite meals is fried chicken, but I rarely let him make it because I don’t like the fried smell and it is so messy. Yeah, I am the boss in our kitchen:) But oven baked fried chicken, now that intrigued me.
Well, Gina just made Josh’s life because there is no greasy frying involved with her healthy “fried” chicken recipe! You bake the chicken in the oven so there is no big mess to clean up and no fried smells that linger for days. Now, Josh can make this healthy “fried” chicken whenever he wants!
How to Make Oven-Fried Chicken
Gina’s lighter version of fried chicken is perfect! The chicken has the same crispy, golden texture as the real deal, but without all of the fat and calories. The recipe is easy to make too!
- Soak the chicken in a buttermilk bath overnight, this will keep the chicken moist and juicy!
- Roll the chicken in the crunchy coating that is made with bread crumbs, cornflakes, Parmesan cheese, and spices.
- Place on a large baking sheet, making sure the chicken doesn’t touch. You can also place the chicken on an oven safe rack on the baking sheet, this will make the chicken extra crispy.
- Bake until crispy and cooked through.
That’s it. No mess to clean up and you can feel good about having healthy fried chicken on the menu. You won’t miss the fryer, that is for sure!
Two Thumbs up for Oven Fried Chicken
Josh was impressed with the “fried” chicken. He loved it! He warned me that Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken is going to be a regular recipe at our house. Fine by me! I didn’t have to clean up a mess and my boys were very happy! Caleb loved eating the drumsticks. He had fun playing the drums while he ate his dinner:)
If you are a fried chicken fan, you have to make Buttermilk Oven “Fried” Chicken. You won’t miss the deep fryer and it is a great recipe for easy weeknight dinners or entertaining!
If you like this Oven Fried Chicken Recipe, you might also like:
Buttermilk Oven "Fried" Chicken
For the Chicken:
- 8 chicken drumsticks about 3 ½ ounces each, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Cooking spray
For the Coating:
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- For the chicken: In a medium bowl, season the chicken with the salt, paprika, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour the buttermilk and lemon juice over the chicken and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a rack on a baking sheet and lightly spray with oil.
- For the coating: In a shallow bowl, combine the panko, cornflake crumbs, Parmesan, salt, parsley, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the crumb mixture. Put the chicken pieces onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake chicken until golden brown and cooked through, 40-45 minutes.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod