This easy strawberry cake is one of our favorite desserts. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top of cake
- Whipped cream and extra sliced strawberries, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan or pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
Gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Arrange strawberry slices on top of batter. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over berries.
Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan. To serve, cut into wedges. Store cake at room temperature, for up to two days.
Calories: 245kcal, Carbohydrates: 41g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 137mg, Potassium: 172mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 25g, Vitamin A: 260IU, Vitamin C: 26.6mg, Calcium: 54mg, Iron: 1.2mg