I have always enjoyed strawberries, but lately I am obsessed. Strawberries are one of the few foods that I count on right now. They always taste good. Luckily, they were on sale last week for 88 cents a pound. We stocked up and I have been eating them like mad. I put them on my cereal, mix them in my yogurt, and eat them plain. I also made this delightful Strawberry Cake.
I love that this cake is easy to make and requires basic ingredients. I had the batter in the pan in about ten minutes. The sliced strawberries peek through cake, creating a beautiful snack cake. The cake is moist and reminds me of strawberry shortcake, one of my favorite desserts. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you enjoy ripe, red strawberries, you will love this Strawberry Cake. It is a great dessert for spring.
This easy strawberry cake is one of our favorite desserts. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Yield: Serves 10
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan or pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Arrange strawberry slices on top of batter. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan. To serve, cut into wedges. Store cake at room temperature, for up to two days.
Adapted from Martha StewartAll images and text © .
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Strawberry Cake, you might also like:
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod
Strawberries and Cream Cake Kebobs from How Sweet It Is
Strawberry Shortcake Cake from The Food Librarian