1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper muffin liners.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In another small bowl, combine sugar and orange zest. Rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingers until fragrant.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, orange juice, and milk. Mix until combined. Add flour mixture and mix on low until just combined. Carefully stir in the cranberries.
5. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with sugar. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let muffins cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Note-muffins will keep in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days. You can freeze the muffins for up to 1 month.