1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat baking mats and set aside.
2. In a blender, blend 1 cup of the old fashioned oats until powdery. In a large bowl, whisk together the blended oats, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup old fashioned oats, steel cut oats, and chocolate chunks.
5. Drop cookie dough, about 2 tablespoons of dough, 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes before carefully transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note-if you don't have chocolate chunks, you can use chocolate chips. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.